How long does it take to lower your blood pressure with lifestyle changes?

I am 27. There is a history of heart disease in my father's family. 2 months ago my blood pressure(B.P.) was 151/102 the last two weeks it has ranged from 125/80 - 138/88 usually closer to 134/85. I have lost over 20 pounds in this time period (from 252-230). My doctor wants to put me on medication and I feel like my B.P. is still lowering and is near or below 130/80 so why should I go on medication now?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

You have to make that decision for yourself obviously. However, I was in your shoes and I did basically what you are doing, with the added touch of getting my emotional state in a calmer clearer groove. My blood pressure also came down pretty quickly and yet the Drs. said they wanted me on BP meds. I never did it, and my BP continued coming down and it is normal now. So you really have to make the choice yourself... but if it is correcting on its own, why would you trap yourself into a lifetime of medications?

1

Source(s): High Blood Pression Remedy http://sparkindl.info/ControlYourBloodPressure
  • Pal

In addition to the weight loss you need to get really good at stress reduction. That means meditation, yoga, tai chi, breath control. Do this experiment the next time you are in a store where there is a blood pressure machine. Take a reading and write it down. Now walk around the store for five minutes, Walk slowly and breath in the following pattern: Breath into the belly - take two deep breaths and breath all the way out. Now inhale to a slow count of 6, hold the breath for the same count, exhale for a 12 count and repeat for the 5 minutes. Stroll back to the blood pressure machine and take another reading. You will be amazed at how much control you have over your blood pressure if you work at it.

Tell your Dr. that you want to continue as you are for another 6 months. Get some more of that weight off with a regular exercise program and try the stress reduction. I bet it will work. If not then take the meds but keep up the healthy life style.

You should read "The Blood Pressure Solution" (also available in electronic format, watch the video presentation here: http://www.fixbloodpressure.com/ ) It's a very comprehensive step-by-step book that walks you through the natural remedies of high blood pressure. It provides you with a lot of information on what foods to eat, how you can acquire and prepare these foods, how you can change your lifestyle for the better, how to eliminate the toxins from your body, how to reduce stress, how you can check your blood pressure level the correct way etc.

The book is amazing in that it not only lowers your blood pressure without the help of medications; it also aids you in having a life that is healthy, happier, and less stressful. This book chanced my life.

Try this before you start taking medication (unless you're diabetic). Still, go see your M.D for supervision of this. My blood pressure went down to 115/75 and I wasn't even exercising regularly! It had been high previously.

Get a Jack LaLane juice extractor. Use it every morning for a few weeks. I recommed putting at least five different fruits and vegetables at a time into your mix, such as cantalope, kiwis, apples, oranges, grapes, carrotts, spinach, tomato, pears, etc.

Your blood pressure may go down after just a week, as long as you eat sensibly and exercise.

I am in a very similar situation, though 57 and no family history. I have chosen not to be tied to meds and do breathing exercises and get a massage at least once per week. I'm a bit cynical, but I have worked in healthcare for some years, and I believe much of medicine is more about selling drugs than treating patients. Manage your stress, that's the key. peace

Your doctor is trying to keep you healthy, prolonged hypertension has a whole boat load of nasty complications. Take the medications your doctor prescribes and continue to lose weight and exercise. It will take a year or more before your blood pressure will be low enough to reduce or eliminate your medications.

each person is different.Ask your doctor about when you should expect new results.Ask when you would be able to lower the meds.Your medical history makes everones profile different.

• ted j

As long as it takes to lose weight. Cut down on the animal fat.

Not long if you become a vegan and avoid sugars and wheat.

Source(s): personal experience