• Social Science >
  • Economics
  • Social Science >
  • Economics

Examples of market failure?

• Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I'm writing a paper on market failure where I need to find one example and write on why the failure occurred and how to remedy the situation. Can anyone give me some good examples ...show more
Update : Thank you to both of you who took the time to answer my question in great ...show more
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
Try the climate change issue. Download the Stern (former chief economist of the World Bank) report :
http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/independen...
It is about environmental externalities and market failures. The main concept is that climate change is a result of the externality associated with greenhouse-gas emissions – it entails costs that are not paid for by those who create the emissions"

This is quote from the report:
“Climate change presents a unique challenge for economics: it is the greatest and widest-ranging market failure ever seen”

You can write a full paper on it.

If you don't have the time to read the full report focus on chapter 2.2 "Understanding the market failures that lead to climate change"
http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/media/5/7/...

Asker's rating & comment

5 out of 5
Thanks so much! The Stern Review was an excellent source for my paper.
  • 0
    0
  • Comment
Examples of market failure?
I'm writing a paper on market failure where I need to find one example and write on why the failure occurred and how to remedy the situation. Can anyone give me some good examples of market failure that I could write a whole paper on? I can think of tons of examples, but none that I've really found interesting enough to research. I'm not looking for someone to do my homework, just looking for suggestions or ideas for topics. The old examples of the lighthouse or the beekeepers are too simple - I need something I can actually expound upon. Thanks!
Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock