SciFi book title? future society - people lived 100's of years, were called 'Guppies', were permitted to die

I can't remember too many more details... everyone lived in giant high rise buildings, science and medicine allowed people lived for hundreds of years and were eventually granted permission to be euthanized. They threw parties when they finally got to die. The very old people had translucent skin and were referred to as 'Guppies'. People were given top honours from the government for developing better and better video games because they kept the huge population entertained.

I am pretty sure those are side story details... I can't remember anything about the main story or character(s).

I read this out of my junior high school library in the late 1980's early 1990's... maybe 1988-93.

If anyone knows the answer I'll be forever grateful.

• Mirko
    Favorite Answer

maybe people in this other section will know? give it a try:

http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/;_ylt=Atpfih8c0W96u4Z...

• It almost sounds like "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley, but in BNW society was ordered by eugenics into Alphas, Betas, and Gammas, I believe. Alphas were in top physical form with genius intellects and ran society, Betas were highly skilled above average workers that usually filled second in command or lower management positions, and Gammas were the unskilled peons that did all the tiring, boring, repetitive jobs.

They all took a drug called Soma, which extended their lifespan out to about two hundred and kept them perpetually young - until one day when they would just drop over and die, bang, powie, surprise!

Great book, I highly recommend it, even if it's not what you were thinking of.

The Forever Formula by Frank Bonham