TJ asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 1 decade ago

Tell me wat is the problem wit my labtop, when i turn it on it shows a black screen & box sayin enter password

See here is the thing, i try puttin my administator password in but it keeps sayin, incorrect password, here is a link to how my labtop screen looks

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h231/Schofield_2...

Best Answer

Looks like someone set a BIOS password and enabled it to check every login. You'll have to find a way to reset the BIOS on the motherboard if your laptop even allows you to do so.

Billy is right, your BIOS has been password protected somehow. You can clear it easily. Turn off your laptop, remove the battery, access the motherboard, and find the CMOS battery. It's about the size of a quarter. Near it will be a jumper with three pins. A jumper cap will be on two of them. Place the cap on the other side of the jumper block for about 15 seconds or so. Replace it back the way you found it, put the covers back on your rig and put the battery back in. Plug in your AC converter and boot your rig. The password box will be gone. Press "delete" while the computer is booting, enter the BIOS setup and reset your BIOS settings (time, date, etc.) After your BIOS settings are restored, continue to boot the computer. It should work fine now. Hope this has helped.

When does this screen come on? Before or after the regular boot sequence?

If you can, try to enter safe mode and see what happens. If you can't, well...I don't know.

That looks a lot like something from win98, microsoft has changed the shade of death blue...what OS are you running? If you're running something recent like XP (I've never seen vista so I wouldn't know...), there's a good chance it's not coming from windows at all.

Probably an infection. Run a virus scan in safe mode if you can, hope your definitions are up to date.

Did you usually see that password screen or it just happen recently?

If the password you entered is not working, it means you have entered incorrect passwords. Bear in mind that this admin password is NOT the same as the usual admin password that you need to logon to Windows.

Somebody set the system password well if u dont get it working just remove the cell from your Laptop and it will be gone

Somehow your computer has been set with a password, which isnt your account password, it's a system password not a problem, access BIOS on boot up (F12), press it repeatedly till BIOS loads up and remove the password.

You need to enter a password

I would have a problem with a Geek Squad person coming to fix my computer.

you need to enter a bios password to get in, pretty hard to remove. not sharing answer for this one. Return to sender :)

That's REALLY screwed up. If you haven't got that ever before I would call geek squad and just ask them. They'll pry want you to take it out also. They can totally clear the laptop and you'll lose everything but your laptop acts BRAND SPANKIN new!