Is the etymology of the word "religion" (supernatural constraint) of interest to you?

Etymology: Middle English religioun, from Anglo-French religiun, Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/religion

Update:

For those interested...to my everlasting shame I flunked out of Star Fleet Academy!

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I wouldn't say it's of intrest...lol Makes perfect sense to me.

• Lydia
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I don't know, "super" is just an enhancer, so it doesn't really imply much other than... "OH MY GOD THIS RIGHT HERE? THIS RIGHT HERE THAT'S HAPPENING IS SOOOOO NATURAL! LIKE SEX!!" People interpret this word in different ways. I think supernatural simply means "unexplained" (even though many times "supernatural phenomena" ARE explained; people just don't like listening to scientists).

• Ahab
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Yes! Sometimes too the actual meaning of a word changes through usage. For example like "incredible" which means w/o credit. Its usage usually ,nowadays, means just the opposite.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I LOVE etymology. I LOVE studying religions. Are you wearing a Star Trek uniform in your avatar?

EDIT: Jack the Giant Killer: he looks more like Q to me.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Supernatural constraint. That's a good one. I call it willing suspension of disbelief.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

or dress like star trek and pretend we are on the enterprise... however there will be a beaming up for real and star trekkies aint a goin

• 1 decade ago

i think all word etymologies are interesting.

the fact that this one is about religion doesn't really change that.

• 1 decade ago

Very interesting. =) Etymology is so awesome.

• 1 decade ago

I thought that was the word for Grissom's expertise..oh, nevermind!

• 1 decade ago

i guess it's always entertaining to learn something new....and by the way, are you wearing a star trek shirt in your pic?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.