Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

If abortion is legal, why do people want to make it illegal, and erase their freedom?

I am nuetral on the question, I have no religion or hate backing this up, just want to know!

Best Answer

It isn't the right of the govt. (federal, state, or local) to make this decision for someone else.

People may have moral issues with it, and it is their right to have those issues. But it doesn't automatically make it right to make it law, amend existing laws or create new laws.

There is nothing stopping people from protesting abortion and urging women not to get one (I don't agree with it either), but the govt. should stay out of it.

If that means keeping Roe vs. Wade, then so be it. If the states could be trusted to MYOB, then I would support the repeal of R v W, because I think it is a bad precedent.

Many people are not neutral on this question. They have very strong opinions, and wish to impose their religious or other beliefs on those who feel differently then they.

Those who feel it should be illegal to have a safe medical abortion have forgotten that there were many deaths caused by illegal abortions. They claim to be pro life, but only the life of the fetus, they don't give a thought to the life of the mother.

Those who are pro choice, recognize that there have been abortions for centuries, and that whether they are legal or not, only effects the cost and the safety of the procedure, not whether or not one will be done.

Even if there are legal abortions, some women are still dying because they do not have access to them, either because of financial or other considerations.

It is an argument based on the question of when a fetus/embryo is considered a living human being.

Now I think the current ruling is that if it could survive on it's own even if needs medical assistance then it is a human and cannot be aborted because would be murder.

Some people want the definition changed to "As soon as sperm meets egg that is a fully living human" and argue that the forming human's rights to life supercede a woman's rights to control of her own body.

So you have people fighting over 1) definition of when living cells qualify as a living human being and 2) rights of control over one's own body vs that of a dependent life.

For myself I do not know what is right or wrong.....I leave that to the people who are in that situation. I just know that IF we go with the pro-life stance we open the door to a government having absolute authority over a person's body.

You could be FORCED to donate organs to help the needy, you would have no right to determine if you want to die or seek medical treatment. ALL medical decisions could be taken from you and you could be MANDATED by government decree what you could eat, drink, etc based on what is good for you as you would not have the RIGHT to control what happens to your body.

To anyone who says this would never happen....I point you to the case of Terri Schiavo. The majority of the pro-life crowd also supported keeping her on life support despite no realistic chance for any type of recovery as she was basically brain dead. The husband wanted to disconnect her life support so she could die and rest in peace instead of "living" until her body just decomposed.....If the govt had chose to keep her alive it would have legally established that government has the final say on all medical issues including ones in which the patient has no chance for any type of recovery.

Anyway as a guy I think of it like this. If I had sex and then woke up attached to another person by machines that made my body support their biological functions then I would have to choose to either 1) disconnect myself and let other die or 2) stay attached for the 9 months and then bear immense pain during the disconnection. Now I personally, at this time, would pick #2 but you BETTER believe that it would be my inalienable and Constitutionally mandated right of liberty to disconnect myself and let the other one die....might make me an ****** but I will be damned b4 someone tells me I am a slave to someone else to keep them alive.

Rather than attack the laws people should be addressing the actual roots of the problem....not the symptoms

malcolm b> If you can do it then it is legal. If it was illegal then even doctors OK would not make it legal. Anything NOT against law is legal...that is basic premise of law.

People opposed to abortion believe it's ethically immoral. People in favor of abortion believe that it's an individual freedom. This is the short of it, although each side can give lengthy reasons to justify their opinion.

its an interesting concept to say abortion is already legal. its not. you still have to get the opinion of two doctors to authorise it, so its not automatic. people want to make it illegal you say, but the fact is, you have assumed it is legal. its going to be interesting to see the other answers that come in, i think.

row versus wade should be overturned because the women that was the defendant confessed she lied about being raped, which made her testimony perjury. it was all about the access of medical records if you read on it. I AM against it being banned for religious reasons because once you give the jesus freaks that they won't stop until they have a right wing christian police state in this country. the reason we should allow abortions is that we don't want either the church or state deciding what to do with our bodies. they wont be there when something goes wrong.

Because freedom from responsibility isn't beneficial to society.

The point for responsible reproductive decision-making is not AFTER one conceives a child, but BEFORE one engages in intercourse.

Society has never benefitted when negative consequences are removed from making bad decisions.

Because it kills a human fetus that has a heartbeat, brainwaves, but no choice of whether to have their head caved in and bodies flushed down the sewer.

Because they would rather have the government make all their medical decisions instead of making them with their doctors.

What freedom do they have? To take away the life of the unborn? That is not freedom. It is premeditated murder.