Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 decade ago

What's wrong with the Daily Mail?

I heard some feminists 'dismiss' the Daily Mail as a valid news source.

Why is that? Provide sources to back-up your opinion.

Also, if say, the Daily Mail was a Right-Wing conservative news source, how would it make their articles worthless, especially considering many news corporations offer the same news? It seems like a good way to evade debate simply because it holds a different political position.

Favorite Answer

from my favorite British comedy, "Yes, Minister".

Jim Hacker: Don't tell me about the press. I know exactly who reads the papers:

* The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country;

* The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country;

* The Times is read by people who actually do run the country;

* The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country;

* The Financial Times is read by people who own the country;

* The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country;

* And the Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it is.

Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read the Sun?

Bernard Woolley: Sun readers don't care who runs the country, as long as she's got big t*ts.

Ironically enough the Mail is v. popular with women, but as most women aren't feminists....

It is just knee jerk journalism - engaging with people on a personal rather than analytical level. I wouldn't find that so bad if they weren't so extraordinarily reactionary - common sense approach, rather than looking at theoretical stuff that is backed by research, or taking that stuff and really taking it out of context or using a tiny bit of it to create a whole argument.

But I don't read it, so I can't produce an up to date analysis!

Nothing really wrong with it, it's just a tad too right-wing for me. Daily Mail's ethos is traditional and is read mostly by women, always has been. If I remember correctly it was originally called Women's Mail and was set up specifically for traditional middle-class women ('ladies' in those days).

Femnists don't like it, they prefer the pro-femnist wikipaedia.

[Gnu] Yes, I recall that sketch. Pure gold!

Quite frankly, you can't fault the quotation Gnu diddy posted. If ever you want a solid, but amusing opinion on politics, Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister is the place to look.

The Daily Mail is a right-Wing soapbox, ultra-feminists ought to love it! It might be easier to sum up a list of what it 'right' with the Daily Mail.

It's nothing but a tabloid. It's like reading the Sun for news.

And it ran what was perhaps the funniest article I've ever read in my life - I actually thought it was satire - about old male celebrities and how they look "fresh and youthful," with pictures of said celebrities with obvious plastic surgery, wrinkles, and balding heads... it looked like something that should be in The Onion. Too funny.

Someone provide me with sources to backup their opinion that Wikipedia, The National Enquirer, and The Onion are not valid news sources!

::sarcasm::

I can handle opposing viewpoints and have a meaningful debate, but if you're so stupid that you cannot differentiate between tabloids and real news, then I don't know what to tell you.

There's nothing wrong with it as far as I can see, but it makes depressing reading because it just criticises the way that things are done under Labour. I don't like reading about how rubbish our country is =]

oh, nothing really. It's just not as credible or intellectually stimulating as the Daily Sport.

• kub2

with head lines like...

"Curvy Kylie kicks up a fuss with a raunchy performance in front of Renée Zellweger"

I would simply dismiss it as a smut site, but I have read a few credible articles on there.

so I would say its credible but smutty, just how I like em. (JOKE)

EDIT:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/new...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/new...

and then you have this...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sho...