What do you think of Huckabee's statement on AIDS patients?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071209/ap_on_el_pr/hu...

"Huckabee, as a Senate candidate that year, told The Associated Press that "we need to take steps that would isolate the carriers of this plague" if the federal government was going to deal with the spread of the disease effectively. "It is the first time in the history of civilization in which the carriers of a genuine plague have not been isolated from the general population, and in which this deadly disease for which there is no cure is being treated as a civil rights issue instead of the true health crisis it represents," he said then"

Why is a man whose religion blinds him to civil liberties or appropriate medical conduct so popular in his bid for the presidency?

Thanks for the heads up. He did say this quote 15 years ago, but note that he stands by it today:

"GOP presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee said Sunday he won't run from his statement 15 years ago that AIDS patients should have been isolated."

On second glance, the article suggests that Huckabee might have a different view of the issue today, but the politicion does not specify it. He still cites an erroneous case where a dentist infected his patient, and he still seems to ignore the science behind HIV transmission.

Sileynch: I would agree with you, but HIV is not the same as tuberculosis. Its manner of infection is different. The virus is killed by air contact. It is only through the transmission of bodily fluids such as breast milk or sexual contact that it can be spread, and both of those areas are in the control of the individual, unlike someone with the black death. Considering the limited manner of infection and the easy way to prevent transmission, I don't think it is right for the government to quarantine them in the slightest. When civil liberties can be protected and the public will not be harmed as a result, then why not? I do think that AIDS patients and drug users have been generally put down by moralists, and that Huckabee's opinion is derived from a religious condemnation of the homosexuals and drug users who contracted HIV from behavior most christians consider wrong.

Favorite Answer

15 years ago there were a lot of us who thought that AIDS patients should be quarrantined. I was on the fence---as a hetero male with several gay friends and relatives and no anti-gay bigotry that I can identify, I thought along similar lines---more because of the IV-drug vector that was going on---in the words of Sam Kinnison, "Let's talk about medical facts. There are two ways to get AIDS. One, you take a load of infected semen up yer (butt). the other way is you share needles with someone who sucks D1CK for a living..." that pretty much summed things up, and I was more worried about the disease being spread by dope shooters than by gays---tho both were a problems. All it had to do was become more infectuous, to evolve a bit, and the general population would also be at risk.

In retrospect, it is hard to blame Huckabee for his stance 15 years ago, but Huckabee, llike my fave Republican John McCain, talks first and thinks later. I don't know if this is a good trait for a potential leader of the free world, but it is somewhat refreshing.

And---AIDS has been a blessing in disguise for humanity---by its nature it has forced medical science to apply resources to boosting the immune system to fight disease instead of just trying to kill the pathogen. I have a fairly extensive knowlege of microbiology, and to use the words of the trade, AIDS had a fairly small reservoir---gay men, dope shooters, women that screwed bisexual men, and folks who'd received blood transfusions. It is not an easily communicable disease. We are lucky that its progress seems to have been slowed. We are lucky that it has not become a disease that is readily passed on among heterosexuals. And, maybe Huckabee was right, but we are lucky that it has not become an epidemic that required people to be isolated... so far...knock on wood...

There are several things that Huckabee has said that make me a bit worried about him as a potential president. This is not one of them.

Civil liberties do not extend to infectious diseases.

Do you recall the tuberculosis patient who was locked away from all contact with people...not even 6 months ago? It's because any virus or disease that is deemed dangerous to the public is quarantined...until it can be treated, or determined not to be a threat to public safety, etc.

As I understand the circumstances...he said this at a time when AIDS was relatively new, and there was not a common understanding of it's cause or communicability. I could be wrong, but if that was the case, then it is perfectly reasonable as it is how any highly infectious and fatal virus/disease is handled.

The CDC is called for any case of bird flu and SARS, and the patients are quarantined...AIDS is more harmful than either, AIDS is a non-negotiable death sentence, but we now know it is not an airborne virus, not yet at least...so what else could they do with a disease that had such a potential to literally kill anyone who contracted it? Just let people wander and infect others because if they aren't allowed to do so, their civil liberties are infringed upon? Sadly, sometimes things have to be done within a society that not everyone in the society is going to like especially if it happens to them. If I was segregated from others because I was infected with a highly communicable disease or virus, I certainly wouldn't be happy about any aspect of it, but I would understand the need, and after my initial hysteria and tantrums, I would just have to accept it for the sake of others I could possibly infect and cause them the same harm...

May it never be necessary.

Take Care and God Bless.

I will vote for Him.

If you think nothing should be done about aids then just turn a blind eye to it that will take care of it oh yeah.

I know we all said things 16 years ago based on what we knew then that we would say differently simply because we know more now.

One thing that hasn't changed is that the gay sexual act is still a sin, but no quarantine has happened has it so your opinion is just your opinion based on nothing.

I will say again I will vote for Him because I'm impressed with Him by everything He says as a whole.

Is there anything you said in the last 15 years that could be twisted on you 15 years from now. I thought so.

Wow, the Nazis ride again.

In an interview on "Fox News Sunday," the former Arkansas governor denied those words were a call to quarantine the AIDS population, although he did not explain how else isolation would be achieved. "I didn't say we should quarantine," he said. The idea was not to "lock people up."

ha ha ha what a dolt. I wouldn't be surprised if this little spate would kill any chance he had left.

I applaud that you provide the link, but the link proves you are quoting him out of context. Huckabee said that line 15 years ago. A lot of people were saying the same thing in 1992. he also said that he was not talking quarantine, although the article doesn't clarify what he did mean.

Don't blame AIDS patients.One day they may rule the world.

And that person may take a job of under secretary or PRO

of that Government.

Huckabee also believes that Canada has a National Igloo.

• F R

In some areas, AIDS patients ARE the general popultation! Be pretty hard to isolate that!

I don't want the Huckster in the white house and the AIDS statement is just one of many reasons.

It is my understanding that there is only one way to get aids. The individual has control of that act.