Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Suggest me some movies...?

These are my favorite movies, maybe it'll help :

-The Man With No Name Trilogy

-One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

-The Graduate

-Chinatown

-Unforgiven

-Casablanca

What other movies would you suggest...

The one who gives the name of a movie that sound good and well-known will get 10 points... 'cause I'm gonna watch that one!

Oh, by the way, I don't feel like watching action movies or any movie with a lot of violence.

Drama will be the best genre to suggest...

And comedy too!

Thank you...

• Jo
    Favorite Answer

"The Philadelphia Story" (Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart--- hysterical and heartwarming-- a dramedy, i guess

"My Favorite Wife"- (Cary Grant) non-stop laughs; can be difficult to find-- just call up several video stores before you venture out or order it online-- it IS out there, rented it for the 30th time a couple of months ago.

"Bringing Up Baby"- (again, Grant and Hepburn) one of the funniest films ever made; was one the American Film Institutes top 100 movies ever made

"Barefoot in the Park"-- originally a play by Neil Simon, starring Robert Redford and Jane Fonda; funny story about newlyweds who nearly divorce within 24 hours of married bliss

"Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid": if you haven't seen this, only God can help you

Please tell me you've seen "Groundhog Day"

Once again, please tell me you've seen these: "It's a Wonderful Life" w/ Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed, and the original "Miracle on 34th Street" with Maureen O'Hara and Natalie Wood

"Splendor in the Grass" (Natalie Wood and Warren Beatty-- his first film ever; directed by Elia Kazan)-- a heart-wrenching story about teens who are deeply in love, but torn apart; it's one of my favorite movies of all time

"Taxi Driver" with Robert De Niro; some violence at the very end, otherwise nothing violent at all; would compare it violence-wise to Chinatown, except a little bit more bloodshed at the very end

"Lucas"-- the movie that proves that, at one time, Corey Haim knew how to act; it also stars a young Charlie Sheen. Don't think of it as your regular teen/high school movie. It doesn't even fit in that genre. I'm 26, didn't see it until i was 23, and I adore it. Oh, also so-stars a very young Winona Ryder

"Giant"-- a great, great film. On tv occasionally. Should be easy to find. Stars Rock Hudson, Elizabeth Taylor, and it was James Dean's last film before he died. It's an amazing movie

"How the West Was Won"-- follows one particular family who are moving to California during the gold rush

"Mermaids" kind of a chick flick (Cher, Winona Ryder, Christina Ricci), but so, so funny/odd that my husband and a lot of my guy friends love it as well

Rushmore

The Royal Tennenbaums

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

The Darjeeling Limited

Running with Scissors (Gwyneth Paltrow, and i forget the rest of the cast)

Little Miss Sunshine (yeah, yeah, i'm sure you've seen it like everyone else, but it's awesome)

The Cheap Detective (spoof on Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon and other classics, starring Peter Falk; since you're familiar with Casablanca, this movie will have you rolling on the ground with laughter)

Murder by Death (spoof of Agatha Christie stories, hysterical, large cast that includes David Niven and Peter Falk)

Primal Fear-- a MUST SEE!!! Psychological thriller/courtroom drama, starring Richard Gere, Laura Linney and Edward Norton

• Dutch

Since you like romantic comedies: I would say Don

Quan De Carlo, starring Johnny Depp, Marlon Brando. Be sure you watch the music video on the DVD.

Best comedies: Young Frankenstein and Sherlock Holmes Smarter Brother, both starring Gene Wilder and Madelin Cohn.

Good Western: Quigley Down Under, with Tom Selleck or just any western he is in.

Alfred Hitchcock's: Notorious with Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman. Vertigo: with Jimmy Steward. North by Northwest: again with Cary Grant

Memento Limitless Phenomenon

On the Waterfront, Inn of the Sixth Happiness, Maltese Falcon, Roman Holiday, Gigi, 3:10 to Yuma (newbie). Those are just some of my favorites, they are timeless classics that always mesmerize me:) Kinda like the other great ones you already like.

Schindler's List

Citzen Kane

American Graffti

Flags of Our Fathers

Cool Hand Luke

Batman (Late 80's)

Ususal Suspect

Mystic River

Well...dramatic in a psychological fashion imho is Rosemary's Baby. Love that movie! Very creepy, definitely makes you think.

Hope you find something good to watch tonight! :)

The 400 Blows: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053198/

It's well-written, funny, touching and has some unforgettable scenes that you can talk about and analyze like most great classics. Oh, and it also helps that the title makes it sound like a porno movie.

• cheri

The sound of music

Doctor Zhivago

The great escape

The south Pacific

Paint your wagon

Source(s): Comedies i enjoy is The Carry on Movies and Police Acadamy