Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

How can I help my father-in-law and mother-in-law immigrate to the United States?

I am a US citizen (born and raised). My wife is from Mexico and she has been a legal permanent resident for 4 years now. I know I can't sponsor my in-laws, but can my wife apply to have her parents come to the US? My wife's brother has been a legal permanent resident for about 10 years. Can that help? My in-laws are old and frail, so it can't be any kind of work related visa. It would have to be a sort of visitor visa of some kind. Can anyone give me an idea on how I should proceed?

• Fred S
    Favorite Answer

Either your wife or your brother-in-law can petition for their parents once either one of them naturalizes and becomes a U.S. citizen. Hopefully, they have the same mother and father. A separate petition is needed for each beneficiary.

• If the petition is on behalf of a mother, the petitioner must submit:

I. The petitioner’s birth certificate. If the mother’s name is now different than that listed on the birth certificate, she must submit supporting documentation.

• If the petition is on behalf of a legitimate father, the petitioner must submit:

I. The petitioner’s birth certificate;

II. The parents’ marriage certificate;

III. Proof of legal termination of any prior marriage(s)

An immigrant visa (IR-5) must be obtained prior to arrival in the United States in order to enter as a legal permanent resident.

Your wife needs to become a citizen of the United States.

After that, she can petition her parents to come here.