Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

2010 Winter Olympics last for the NHL?

Any thoughts on this?

Favorite Answer

Sounds good to me. To be honest I think National Teams would be better, and the competition would be more fun to watch, WITHOUT the NHL players. It's like watching the U.S. in basketball at the Olympics lately. They get these Pros who don't play together until about 2 weeks or so BEFORE the start and then aren't very good, then they get beat by supposedly lesser teams who play together for months. What a shock that the other team is better, they have a good chemistry with each other. So rather then just put together some NHL players why not let teams build up a team that plays together. The other thing is I don't like the Olympic Break, and the affect it has on the season. I mean these times when a team has off 6 days and then plays 6 in 9 days is strange enough, but taking off all that time and trying to get it made up is crazy.

Funny question. In seeing the inclusion of rugby sevens and golf for 2016 and 2020, both sports have indicated to the IOC that they will re-arrange their schedules. The PGA Tour will create a window for Olympic competition, and the IRB (rugby's body) has indicated they won't hold a sevens world cup during Olympic years. At least three prominent rugby nations have said they will release players for the Olympics (for Northern Hemisphere countries, August is typically their pre-season and the start of matches, while the big Southern Hemisphere nations hold the Tri-Nations (soon to include Argentina). In fact, Rogge specificially mentioned the NHL releasing players for the Olympics as part of his comments. A "best on best" format...sign me up. We already have a WJC event every year. Just sort it so the clubs aren't bearing the entire cost and get some form of dispensation should a player be injured on Olympic duty.

I hope it is, I always like the Canada/World Cup more because they play with like NHL rules and it's preseason so its not disrupting the NHL season.

I think 1998 was a test for the 02' in Salt Lake and since Vancouver has the 2010 it's not the Olympic were you change the format but the novelty has worn thin.

Bringing back the youth aspect gives the games a little more magic and turns young players into national heroes

Why would the NHL want to let there players go and play in Russia for the 2014 Olympics when the Russian Hockey Federation refuse to agree to a transfer agreement with them.

This isn't a new idea since the NHL has only been involved in the Olympics a few times. Since 1994 I believe. (94, 98, 2002, 2006).

I've always like NHL players going into the Olympics. If they are the best at what the country has to offer, then so be it, send them in and let them represent their country.

I think the Olympics should go back to being for armatures only like they used to. We have the NHL and the Canada Cup for pros to play in.

I like the idea because I think the Olympics should be for amateurs.

i like NHL players playing in it, because its exciting seeing the best from eachcountry square off.. but this will be exiciting to watch the younger players and get to know them, and for them to make names for themselves.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Level the field a bit.