unknown asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

What brands of daily supplements (vitamins) are FDA approved and safe to use?

I feel the need to take Vitamin C, Fish oil, and Bioflavonoids, but can't decide which brand to pick. Please help!

Favorite Answer

"How Vitamins are Regulated

Vitamin products are regulated by FDA as "Dietary Supplements." The law defines dietary supplements, in part, as products taken by mouth that contain a "dietary ingredient" intended to supplement the diet.

Listed in the "dietary ingredient" category are not only vitamins, but minerals, botanicals products, amino acids, and substances such as enzymes, microbial probiotics, and metabolites. Dietary supplements can also be extracts or concentrates, and may be found in many forms. The Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 requires that all such products be labeled as dietary supplements.

In June 2007, FDA established dietary supplement "current Good Manufacturing Practice" (cGMP) regulations requiring that manufacturers evaluate their products through testing identity, purity, strength, and composition."

http://www.fda.gov/consumer/updates/vitamins111907...

That said, as always, they will lag behind in enforcement. I tried to find if they had a list yet for supplements and if they do, I didn't see it. So I went to one of the oldest, biggest, least expensive providers to see what they had to say for themselves:

http://www.puritan.com/house/companyinfo.asp?xs=56...

"Each month, we produce 1.2 billion tablets, 500 million capsules and 450 million softgels - and we package over 14 million bottles! Our commitment to quality is not only evident in where we manufacture our products but also in the way we do it and the ingredients we use. In many ways, Puritan's Pride has set the standard for high quality vitamin manufacturing. The scientists and researchers in our laboratories have worked closely with state and federal agencies, including the FDA and the U.S. Pharmacopeia (USP), to establish many of the test procedures that ensure the potency, stability and purity of our products. Puritan's Pride also manufacturers products under very stringent GMPs (Good Manufacturing Standards) - a distinction that few vitamin companies can claim."

I would suggest that before you buy things you look for some sort of info at their site or on the bottle to see if they can make a similar claim.

The items you're looking for aren't too exotic, so I think most brands you'd find in a decent store would be OK (your grocery, Whole Foods, GNC, Hi Health, etc.). I think Puritan's Pride is decent quality--never had any problems with them.

I also broke out the magnifying glass and looked at a couple of random supplements and I see the USP info on my bottles.

• Sandra

If you’re supplementing, the minerals and vitamins most likely to rev way up your metabolic engine are N complex, magnesium, copper, selenium, chromium and also manganese. But don’t overdo the idea, find foods that are rich sources of each. Nuts and seeds in a very small handful are perfect, states that Stephanie Karl, Nutritionalist at your Dubai London Clinic.

puritian's pride

cookie sundown and nature made