Helium=Drugs?

So i'm at a party and my friend hands me a balloon and says haha u have to try this! suck in the air and don't swallow it makes ur voice funny! so i did thinking "well dipshit its not floating a person must've blown it up with there own air" but just to amuse them i tried it. Well let me tell you it was NOT air! it was helium. is that considered drugs? it just made me laugh and would'nt let me stop for like 3 minutes!

Please help! and also what are the side affects if u swallow the tinyest bit or just whatever?

Favorite Answer

This sounds like a nitrous balloon. It is a drug. Helium would have made your voice funny. If it made you feel goofy and laugh it was Nitrous oxide like they use at the dentist office.

Any drug given to the wrong person can harm or kill them. I would not suggest doing it again. The reason they can use it at the dentist is they are trained to deal with adverse reactions. Party people are not. Seriously, don't do inhalants as they can be deadly. Just because you got away with it once does not mean you will always be able to get away with it.

EDIT: if swallowed in large doses it can cause gastritis and is very painful. A small bit shouldn't hurt you in that way. If you are able to write this, chances are you got away with it THIS TIME.

• mowrer

Helium Pills

• 1) If it was helium, it should have been floating unless almost empty.

2) If it made your voice high and squeaky, it may have yet been helium.

BUT...

your comments that it "made you laugh" and that the balloon was not floating leads me to think it may have been nitrous oxide, which is used by dentists as a means of desensitizing patients to the work being done on their teeth... it is commonly called "laughing gas" (and is used in cars in a completely unrelated application).

In short, it can be used as a drug because it has the ability to alter your perception of reality.

The source below has a good description of its potential effects (including death because it replaces oxygen in your blood).

• Helium is a gas that is often used for medical purposes. For example, to carry concentrated oxygen past an obstruction in the airway because it is lighter than oxygen or nitrogen.

Very few side effects; I don't know of any long term consequences..

helium legally isn't a drug, but the misuse of helium can have the same afects as illegal drugs. you can infact die by inhaling to much in one period. if you inhale a little bit your voice will be higher and may last a few seconds or a minute, but inhale to much an your heart will give out (yes you can die) my suggestion is stop inhaling this. (also you can die by inhaling too much pure oxygen so if anyone suggest that is safe say "hell no".)

OH hahahahahha....if it made you laugh and it made your voice deep. Then it was probably Noss...look it up....its like a cool gas that makes you lay bak....dont take too much of it though or you might faint and wake up till like the next morning...lol.....but nah is cool you are not gonna like die or anything...just make sure you dont do it too much because its badd really BAD in the long run like if you do it everyday.....you were probably at a flyer party...they always have Noss..

That wasn't helium, that was laughing gas, and yes it is drugs. You will be fine don't worry, but a few people have died. They have just banned it from nightclubs in the UK.

you're an idiot. Helium is the second lightest element. It makes your voice high and it would make the baloon float.

It just effects your vocal chords, that's why it's funny.

If you get addicted to helium I will personally start a support group for you.

there is nothing bad about just a little bit, but if you do it continually for long perieds of time, you deprive your lungs of oxygen and could end up dying.