In the U.S, what rights does a citizen have that a resident alien does not have?

this is for an essay i have to do and btw a resident alien is someone who was not born here but resides LEGALLY.

Do these rights mean that citizens have responsibilities that resident aliens do not have? If so, what are they? To what extent are these responsibilities moral and to what extent are they legal?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

As far as I know a U.S Citizen has the right to vote, be able to travel with a U.S passport, be able to apply for fereral government jobs and to petition for a close relative to come live to the U.S....and all of these stuff cannot do an alien resident

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Legal resident aliens are not allowed to vote, work in some government jobs that require citizenship, run for office, or use a US passport to travel.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yea i have to do the same project...

citizens can move freely throughout the county, use a u.s. passport, be protect by military, cannot vote in NATIONAL elections, they can however vote in state elections.

i was also reading that R.A.'s have to also enlist at 18, even though they're not legal-so morally they should have to serve for the country that they choose to live in however, they are not legal citizens yet so it isn't quite legal

hopefully that helps you...

if you find anything else...hit me up

• 1 decade ago

the only difference is voting and running for politics, thats the only difference,.and holding federal jobs, ......as far as petitioning relatives, its allowed, not only citizens can,. legal resident aliens can also petition relatives or love ones, and yes, passport issue, they must use, there passport from there country to travel to other places

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Voting

• wow! I was born here and I dont know!but i guess vote

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

thank you! extremely informative and this gives me better knowledge on this topic

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

that is an interesting question

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.