Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCaribbeanJamaica · 1 decade ago

How much does it cost in Jamaica?

I would like to know average prices of daily-used things in Jamaica, for example: bread, milk, books, CD's, newspapers, limonade...etc. I know the exange rate, but I still cannot imagine how much money I would need on average. I would like to get general image of prices in Jamiaca. Thanks a lot!

Favorite Answer

hmmmm let me see if i can help you.

using the exchange rate US$1.00 - JA$71.26

FOOD PRICES

you can check out the prices at this particular supermarket chain, super plus. here's their site, just click on the products tab at the left and browse the prices by category

http://www.superplusfoods.com/customer/home.php

-inflation is pretty high right now, so prices change regularly.

NEWSPAPERS

jamaica has two major newspapers: The Jamaica Gleaner and The Jamaica Observer. The cost of the weekday (monday to saturday) papers for each is $25 jamaican dollars. thats around US $0.35.

- on Sundays, these two papers (along with another third paper, the Herald) cost $65 each. thats less than a buck. US $0.91 cents to be exact.

-there are other papers, mostly tabloids for around JA$25-$50 each.

BOOKS

the cost of books varies, as expected.

- magazines of all types are widely available. e.g.: cosmo, star, the economist, time, glamour, and so on. these cost roughly the same as in the states, between JA $350-$500 each. ... US $5.00-$7.00

-for fiction and non-fiction books, just convert the US price to jamaican, and add a little markup.

-school books. just like anywhere else, university books are pretty expensive. avg cost per book is between $3500-$7000 or US $50-$100 for new books (a modest estimate), but it depends on what you're studying.

-sorry, i dunno the price of CDs (havent bought one in jamaica in a while). but i saw DVDs at the supermarket today for JA$1600 or US$22.00.....lots of bootleg dvds available tho, for way less.

GASOLINE

- prices at the pumps fluctuate like crazy. i dunno if it even makes sense to quote any. ummm 8 litres (2 gallons) costs around JA$500; thats roughly $250 per gallon....or US$3.50 a gallon.

i hope this helps. if u need more info, u can email me~*

note: denise, ur answer is WAAAY off! which taxi in jamaica cost $50? and the cheapest combo at kfc is a meal deal, which cost $325 ! ! which books cost $300? -- maybe a notebook. as for the weed, i dont really know, but it must raise due to inflation. maybe ur living in jamaica 5 years ago, denise. no offense.

Well it depends on where you buy and if your spending us dollars. Go to a super market Bread from $120.00 up depending on the size. Beer at a regular bar $100.00 up you can pay $150 and get a really nice meal at a local restaurant but again it depends on what your buying and where. I suggest you find someone you can trust to escort you around until you have learned the ropes of Jamaica. And PS. it is always better to Change your Currency and spend Jamaican dollars you get over priced less.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How much does it cost in Jamaica?

Source(s): cost jamaica: https://tr.im/Fbs2D
  • Rate of Exchange.. 72.122 JM = 1 US

a blank CD costs between 15 and 50 Jamaican, depending on where you go and the brand.

newspapers cost from 25 for tabloids to 75 for Sunday Papers.

Lemonade? You can get a bag of 12 limes for 60 dollars, a pound of sugar for around 60 dollars and a one liter bottle of water for 70 dollars and go make it yourself. If you mean Kool Aid one sachet costs around 30 dollars. Soft drinks like soda are for 60 dollars per bottle.

Whatever you would pay for it in USA>... just multiply by three and take that amount... not that you will be needing it but just to be safe.

a drink is $100

which is like $1.50 in US

lets make this easier

$1 US = $70JM

a taxi= $50

bread=$100

KFC=$250

Jeans=$1000

weed=$50

tv=$30,000

house=$3,000,000

milk=$150

books=$300

CDs-$400

so take each amount of money and multiply it my 70 and thats ur price