Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

Just imagine, Rock Musicians & Gruops If People Had Lived?

The passing of Led Zeppelin Drummer John Bonham has always been one of My biggest Rock regrets. I simple love the Zeppelin album In Through The Out Door. It was full of so many stylistic shifts and varieties for Zep and it signaled the beginning of what I think would have beeen an amazing decade for Zep in the 80's But then John Bonham passed away. And the decision was made to break up the band. thus robbind us forever of the great music Zeppelin may have made in the 80's

So My question is this.....

What Rock Star do You wish hadn't died and what do You think they may have done with their career if they had lived instead?

(Examples..Lennon & A Beatles reunion, Skynyrd if not for the plane crash etc)

Favorite Answer

Darth, I go through this one at least once a week. You've hinted at the biggest question, and that is where would the music be now? As growing and evolving musicians, most artists and groups would not have remained stagnant, in that they would not now have the same sound that we immortalize them as having. In this respect, it's either anybody's guess or an extrapolation of where they were headed, musically, at the time of demise or disbandment. Zep would have been glorious to hear now as far as taking In Through The Out Door as a direction for the group. Page's sense of orchestration and modal melodies were really starting to take off in that respect. I also think we would have realized how much of a blues musician Jimi Hendrix was, in that he might have been playing nothing but the genre now, although the unique stamp of his talents would have still shone through. The Beatles would have at least been reunion fodder, since they had broken up prior to John's death. George would have been another issue and still be the anti-poster boy for smoking. Oh, and for the last time, Yoko DID NOT break up the Beatles. Paul himself has attested to that. The boys had had enough of each other at that point, but the media provided us with the Yoko thing, nothing more. Sorry, but it's a little pet peeve of mine. We could go on, but for the constant disbandment of so many groups that have not been affected with the spectre of member death, but stylistic or irreconcilable differences. When we wish upon a star about our departed favorites we tend to forget about egos, musical leanings, and just plain maturation. If Jimmy Morrison was still living, would we all know about his cirrhosis or maybe being a bum down on his luck instead? There is always another side to the story. How many of our heroes would be included in the "how old should a rocker be before they shouldn't perform" questions we read? I will keep playing the question game, though, because it seems to make me feel a little more complete thinking that some of my past is still living and giving me musical pleasure. Thanks for asking this.

P.S. Speaking of disillusionment of idols, have you seen the pic of the Zep Boys on the Rolling Stone cover? The only old men I'm comfortable paying to see are usually Bluesmen; wow.

Using Zeppelin as an example, even if Bonham hadn't've done himself in, the group's days were numbered. For one thing, after his son died in 1977, Robert Plant practically had to be begged to take part in the "ITTOD" project. His heart was no longer in it. Ever heard any of the bootlegs of any of the Europe '80 shows? They played, I believe, 14 shows, only two of which -Zurich and Frankfurt- even come close to Zep's glory days, mainly because Page was so smacked out he could barely play...notice how he doesn't do much on "Out Door" compared to the other albums? That's heroin for ya. It sounds terrible, but it's true: in 1980 Led Zeppelin, performance wise, was a shadow of it's former self; there are probably better cover/tribute bands out there. Both Plant anf John Paul Jones were fed up with Page's incapacitation by this time...odds are, if they'd've made it to the States like they were planning on before Bonzo died, and were still playing so badly, that would have been it, right there. Plant would have walked...on too many of the Europe '80 tapes you can hear how fed up he is. Barring that, Jimmy Page would have been the one to die, not Bonham, and he's damn lucky he didn't anyway- it's a good thing Jimmy cleaned up when he did. He was a wreck on the ARMS tour; that pretty much put the zap on his head, thank god. No...as terrible as it sounds, Bonham's death was a blessing in disguise. At least Zeppelin had the good sense to pack it in when they did, unlike, say, The Who (let's face it, Keith Moon was as irreplacable as John Bonham...Kenney Jones doesn't even come close.)

Rock bands more or less have a shelf life and a sell by date, like anything else. Things happen for a reason. S-hit...would you want all these bands to end up like The Stones, wrinkly old men who cannot even play songs they've played ten million times onstage anymore without a gazillion backup musicians to help them do it? And charging their fans obscene amounts of money to watch them do it, only to have said fans turn around and badmouth the performances - and rightfully so, I'm sorry to say- on internet fansite forums? Personally, I'm glad The Beatles and Led Zeppelin never had to suffer that kind of fate.

Well, I agree with Bohman's tragic death, but you mentioned what I think is the greatest tragedy in rock. The death of John Lennon.

There were so many untimely deaths that were horrific, the list goes on.

What I think separates Lennon's death for me though, was the fact it was so senseless. It was not an overdose, like so many. It was not a plane or car crash, which yes those to did not bring it on themselves. But, it was just that Lennon was actually growing as a person in many aspects of his life, not just musically but personally, as we are all well aware.

The last five years of his life were pretty much in seclusion from the public eye, with his wife and newborn Sean.

Did he make mistakes with Julian, yes, in which I'm sure he regretted. He was young and was going through a whirlwind (The Beatles), but as he got older he started to think outside himself, he was working on himself. He never had a chance to really reconcile with Julian. I know it would have happened though.

To have some madman, in his own demented world to snuff out such a man for no reason at all. That is the greatest tragedy in rock for me.

You know what's really crazy, I'm talking about the tragedy of Lennon's senseless death, and today is December 8th.

The 27th year since his passing.

He was killed December 8th, 1980.

I know what you mean. Yoko ruined The Beatles. John was much better in with them then doing songs with her. Can you "Imagine" what music today would be like if John Lennon never got shot? :(

And the deaths of Janis Jopplin, Jimi Hendrix, and Kurt Cobain were devestating.

I think Nirvana had a lot more grunge left in em and Cobain could have changed the 90's and 00's

Jim Morrison _ The Doors , man just think what they may have come up with.

Kurt Cobain definetly his death was to soon

kurt cobain... he was a very talented musicain and there is no telling what else he could have done