Does Starbucks "spike" their coffee? Add extra caffeine?

Do they treat it chemically, or add caffeine, or something?

I have two containers of the same type of coffee - one's Starbucks, and the other is another brand made by a company that boasts about being "organic" and "natural."

The coffee beans look the same, same type, same darkness of roast, etc., and smell SIMILAR but the Starbucks container has a "sharper" odor.

I know from brewing coffee from both that the Starbucks batch IS stronger, has more caffeine.

Do they spike their coffee?

If so, why?

• Favorite Answer

I'm positive that they do, and I think the reason is just plain competition. If someone NEEDS to have their coffee in the morning, and they like it strong, they'd go to Starbucks because they know that it'll give them the boost they need.

I read an article a while ago that said that a study was done comparing a bunch of brand name coffees, including Starbucks, and they found that Starbucks coffee had sometimes three times more caffeine in it than a regular coffee. (Read the article here: http://www.slate.com/id/2107807/ )

No, there are no additives in Starbucks coffee. They smell differently because the beans are probably from different locations, are different 'roasts,' or one might not be as fresh. The Starbucks may be darker or more intense in flavor, but that actually means that there is less caffeine (the roasting process removes caffeine). Sometimes strong-tasting coffee has a placebo effect.

Source(s): Used to work for Starbucks

A recent report from a whistle blower at thier roasting facility had quite an interesting story to share:

Apparently, when they roast thier coffee, they do indeed have an additive. This additive is a trade secret for the protection of thier industrial monopoly. It has recently been shared during an interview with an ex-employee who, under confidentiality with the press, an alias "JOE", and currently in the witness protection program hiding from the Coffee Mafia, shared his story and accounts of this corrupt empire.

"Joe" as he wishes to be named, was abbruptly fired after asking a manager not to include a certain product in the roast batch that morning. He discovered on his first day as roast master, that the company pours in a slurry of products into the batch, to ferment, before roasting. It's a combinational effort of every branch location, by shipping back any spilled coffee, excess stale beans, used grounds, food drippings, and unfinished coffee drinks. This is poured into 55 gallon drums and shipped back to HQ (headquarters). Then the slurry is packed with the beans ready to be roasted, after 12 months of fermentation.

This is the secret of thier coffee, which "Joe" has, under hiding in the witness protection program, come forward and risked his life, to expose this corrupt organization. La Coffee Nostra, or LCN as they refer to it...

Current violations are being reviewed by the Chief Prosecutor and Attorney General.

I believe that caffeine is an odorless substance so caffeine would not account for the odor difference.

The coffee beans origin, roast, and age can affect the smell and taste of the coffee

• rogue

well this is up for debate it is like comparing pepsi and coke.i think pepsi is watered down while some friends say the opposite.unless you can test the coffee you cannot tell.I think you are sold on starbuck and they got you where they want you.

Add And Caffeine

• Marcia

"inator" = It usually means they have an ego problem, i.e. they need to be the life of the party. You know the type, they're the ones on the playground as a child constantly yelling, "Hey, look at me everyone!" Poor dumb b@stard, they probably have a small wee-wee too!

wish i knew too!!! i'm addicted to coffe anyway, but then starbucks..oooooooooooo. i always joke with my friends who are also s.b. addicts too, that the store has to put crack in it cause the caramel macchiato is my addiction of choice!

gotta go--having a starbucks attack!!!!!!!

No, they just roast their coffee with a blowtorch. lol.

Ahahaha... blowtorch