Movies Rock?

I managed to catch a few bits and pieces of "Movies Rock" on CBS tonight...I was very glad that I at least got to see John Williams and Tony Bennet. Anyway, in lieu of the show I was wondering if you guys could help me compile a list of the best film scores. I intend to put them all onto my ipod b/c I love listening to them...they're just so *magical.* Some of my favorites include the Edward Scissorhands score, Casablanca ("As Time Goes By"), etc. Thanks in advance for the help.

Best Answer

Romeo & Juliet (1968)

Gone With the Wind

Conan the Barbarian

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial~This has been deemed the most emotionally manipulative movie score ever written, and they meant that in a good way! Parts of "E.T." were edited to fit the music because Steven Spielberg was so pleased with it.

Jaws

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

The Magnificent Seven

Two Mules for Sister Sara~This is a very cute and clever score by Ennio Morricone, an excellent film composer.

Love Story~"Snow Frolic" is a lovely melody.

Blade Runner

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

Aliens

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Superman~The Movie

Ben Hur

The Mummy Returns

The Kingdom of Heaven

LOTR trilogy

Star Wars saga

The Deep

Somewhere in Time~Some of the most beautiful music I've heard contributes to this ultra-romantic film about time travel.

Time After Time

Firestarter~wonderful music by Tangerine Dream, which also provided a score for "Risky Business", if I recall.

Lawrence of Arabia

Doctor Zhivago

Educating Rita~if you can find it!

1492: Conquest of Paradise

2001: A Space Odyssey

King of Kings

The Greatest Story Ever Told

Excalibur~The first time I heard "Carmina Burana" was when I saw this film. I thought it was part of the musical score!

Poltergeist~The theme music is so lovely that I learned to play it on my bowed psaltery.

The Thorn Birds~I don't even know if the soundtrack is available but would love to have it. This is another theme that I learned to play.

Somewhere out there is a compilation album of Bernard Herrmann's music. His works include:

Jason & the Argonauts

The Day the Earth Stood Still

Psycho (1960)

Journey to the Center of the Earth

North by Northwest

Vertigo

Mysterious Island

You can't go wrong with Herrmann, Max Steiner, John Williams, James Horner, Jerry Goldsmith, Danny Elfman, Alan Silvestri, John Barry, Vangelis, John Addison, Tangerine Dream, Maurice Jarre, and Nino Rota. I'm certain I've left off many fine composers. Many James Bond movies have remarkable musical scores.

Have you ever listened to any of Midnight Syndicate's albums? They're fascinating! People refer to them as soundtracks for horror films that haven't been made yet. They are quite an experience.

Enigma's music also is interesting, particularly "Sadness".

You made some good choices already: Danny Elfman's "Edward Scissorhands" and Max Steiner's "Casablanca" although the song so identified with it is actually from a play that failed on Broadway. How fortunate we are that the song was rescued from falling into obscurity as it might well have. Max Steiner's score for "King Kong" was one of the firest complete ones written for a movie, and his "GWTW" score was the most complex one ever attempted. The man was amazing! He was still writing fantastic music in the Fifties~"A Summer Place", which has such a lovely theme.

• love

it is better of a documentary yet ''Heavy metallic in Baghdad'' became wonderful. Oh I fairly have seen college of Rock i love it even if it isn't a movie i in my opinion would want to observe better than 3 or 4 circumstances. and that i have seen between the %. of destiny videos yet i do not imagine it became Detroit Rock city.