Sword training?

For those that have trained with a sword before, what is better to train with. a Boken or a bamboo kendo sword. I want to use a katana(I have a few already) and I just wqant to know which one is best.

• idai
    Favorite Answer

Hi there

The simple answer to this question is that they are all different. Each one has its own characteristics and merits but none of them really replicate the feeling of a real sword because their weight and balance are different.

When I'm practicing iai i prefer a thin light weight boken with plastic saya. But for one on one kata then a normal boken is better as there is less damage caused to the wood.

However if you really want to train your kata with real shinken gata (fighting feeling) then a foam padded sword is much better as you can really get into the flow without having to worry about hurting your uke.

So they are all good and provide a safer way to practice. It just depends on what your trying to achieve. But they do not replicate the real feeling of a live blade.

If you train with bokens then youre only training with bokens

Train safely

Best wishes

idai

I train in Shinkendo, which is a comprehensive sowrd art that uses many styles of swordsmanship (batto-do, kendo, ect.). Shinais (bamboo swords) are commonly used in sparring and you usually see kendo-ka using them. Bokkens (wood shaped into the shape of a sword) can used more for a technique/kata practice. In Shinkendo, we use both, except instead of a shinai, we use heavy-weight wood.

Source(s): 2 1/2 years of Shinkendo training
  • Mushin

Well, in iaido (Japanese sword-art) we use a bokken/bokuto until we are considered proficient enough to use an iai-to (unsharpened 'sword'), whilst even practising kata.

Obviously, a bokuto or bamboo shinai (used in kendo) will not seriously injure an uke (partner). When we practise partner work in iaido, we use bokuto for safety reasons.

As my friend 'Idai' already stated, it is simply a matter of personal choice.

Source(s): Wado-ryu karate MJER iaido Jo-do

bamboo kendo sword is more easy to use and more safety i think that's one is the best because training with katana and you don't use it with carefully it can be dangerous or even injury people and your self ^^

wow. i envy you. i always wanted to train with a sword. i suggest you use a boken though.