Are they are violating federal law ?

Two national civil rights organizations are criticizing Collin County commissioners for prohibiting nonprofit clinics from treating illegal immigrants with county funds.

Officials with the League of United Latin American Citizens and the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund say they think commissioners are violating federal privacy and health care laws.

"There's no constitutional basis to limit these kinds of programs to U.S. citizens," said Nina Perales, regional counsel for MALDEF in San Antonio.

Commissioners maintain they can legally ask nonprofit clinics that receive county grants to report each patient's name, age, address, medical diagnosis and the last four digits of his or her Social Security number.

"To me, it's not a racial situation," Commissioner Jerry Hoagland said. "It's an economic situation. If you don't want to abide by the rules, don't take the money."

Several clinics have complained about the new reporting requirements, saying the policy forces them to violate patient confidentiality laws and play the role of immigration officer.

Clinics can still treat illegal immigrants, as long as they use other funds, commissioners have stressed. The county is not seeking personal information on patients treated with other funds.

One clinic, Children and Community Health Center of McKinney, has said it will reject its $30,000 grant rather than comply with the reporting requirements. Another, Frisco Cares Children's Clinic, says it may refuse its $11,000 grant.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/c...

• jean
    Favorite Answer

I wonder if those that contributed to those causes are aware that the funds are being used by those that are here illegally. The real question for me is how many people our country legally are unable to get the health care they need because the limited funds are going to those who have broken our laws. There is also the issue of why should I have to provide my life's history when I visit a Dr. or health care provider, but the illegal doesn't When a illegal gets free heath care that just adds to their bottom line, while I have to use my income to pay for my health care. When I had a kidney stone, my bill was $8,000 for 4 hours of care in the ER. When I got my bill I was charged $8 dollars for a paper gown, it stated on my bill that the cost was 89 cents, but the added cost was to fund those without health care. So we are paying for their care already

No they are not violating Federal Laws . It is funny how when it is the city or County trying to save more and keep clinic doors open by telling Illegals they can't use them they are wrong . If a Mexican citizen comes to the US illegally there are thousands of people who fight for there right to be here and stay even if the don't want to become a citizen and pay taxes . California has had clinics and hospitals closed because they where forced to take illegals who never paid their bills or helped with taxes to keep them open. When will it stop before another civil wars starts or after ?

• I think that if the nonprofit clinics want to treat illegal immigrants, then they can do so without state or federal money. They don't like the reporting requirements, but they are the very reason for them - they are part of the enablers for illegal immigration. If they can get medical treatment, then they are going to continue to come. So as long as they wish to treat individuals here illegally, then they should have to comply with the reporting requirements. If they want to avoid the requirements, then they can refuse the state and federal money.

Nonprofit organizations such as United Way have "requirements" all the time for organizations that wish to receive funds from them. Why can't the state and federal governments do the same? After all, it is the money we paid in taxes. Shouldn't it go towards LEGAL uses????

Federal law provides for anyone to be treated if it is an emergency regardless of financial or immigration status.

The county commissioners are in violation because they cannot override Federal law.

Good let the clinics that don't want to obey the laws lose their funding. If I broke the law worse things would happen to me than just losing some money. I would go to jail. It just shows how racist the illegal alien border criminals are they think because of their race they don't have to obey American laws. The clinics are also elitist who believe they are above the laws all the rest of us have to obey. What a sick joke. DEPORTATION NOW.

sure, are we no longer a rustic of regulations- no longer of fellows? we actually ought to placed our concepts first and returned them up with our wallets. So spoke of as "Open cities" additionally must lose all Federal investment. Ignoring regulations that one unearths unpopular seems to be like constrained to the liberal modern-day ingredient of the political spectrum. that's barely ok if a liberal does it, time to even the playing container.

Clinics should treat anyone who needs treatment. That's the Hippocratic Oath that every doctor takes.

I don't think so. They aren't telling them that they can't treat people, they're just saying that they can't use tax dollars to do it. If someone wants to make charitable donations for these expenses, fine, that is their own choice. It should not be a financial burden to tax payers.