Why did Johnny Depp make a movie with a sex offender?

I really like Johnny Depp as an actor but why did he make The Ninth Gate with Roman Polanski who was charged with "rape by use of drugs" on a thirteen year old girl? He makes all of his movies outside of the U.S. because he will be arrested if he comes back here after running away. Why would Depp work with this pervert?Wikipedia says, "The director was thinking of casting an older actor but Depp was persistent and wanted to work with him." Also, has anyone heard anything about Jack Nicholson's reaction to Polanski since he worked with him 3 years before the sex offense and since it happened in Nicholson's house?

If Polanski wrote Lawrence of Arabia I wouldn't star in it. I don't see how you people can be so forgiving and make excuses like he did it for the movie not for the director. You'd think anyone that cares about children wouldn't want anything to do with a child sex offender. No excuses.

Favorite Answer

I have no idea, but that is disgusting. That guy is a sick freaking perv. You would think Johnny Depp, who has children, would rather not be related with such a waste of matter.

He probably did it because it's a life experience. How often does one get to say "I got to star in a movie with a sex offender." I know that sounds strange... But it's a learning experience as well. Any truly devoted actor or writer would want to do the same thing. Maybe he was thinking that one day he may have to be a sex offender in a movie and if he does this movie with this guy then he can get inside his head and know what it's like so that he can deliever the best possible performance.

Quite frankly- I don't blame him.

He's a great actor- I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

Im sure Johnny Depp was only interested in the films he was making and not his personal life.

like anybody really knows why johnny deep did that

BECAUSE HE'S AN ACTOR WHO'D PROBABLY KILL HIS OWN MOTHER FOR ENOUGH MONEY.