Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

How common is paid maternity leave?

Is paid maternity leave common or uncommon?

Small company- 5 people total including myself and the boss.

I haven't told them I'm pregnant yet because I'm only 4 weeks- so I'm waiting for a while.

Favorite Answer

If you are in the US, it is EXTREMELY unlikely you will get any paid leave. If you have vacation or sick leave, you can use that, and possibly short term disability, but that's about it.

It is very uncommon in the United States. In the US maternity leave varies state to state and company to company. Many companies will let mothers use all of their unused vacation and sick time. In some states you can qualify for temporary disability for up to 8 weeks after giving birth. In that case you are paid a percentage of your wages, with a very low cap (it's $190 a week in New York State). Rarely will a company pay all or even a portion of an employees salary while they are on maternity leave.

The US is way behind other counties, like Canada and some European countries where mother's get up to a year off paid to care for their newborns!

Generally it is the paid leave but because your company is too small and might not have a standard company policy as well thats why only good relation with the boss can work here and you will have to apply for the paid maternity leave. I think if company is good at its business they will surely favor you.

Very uncommon....i am going to have to use all my vacation and sick time when i have the baby - i'm only 19 weeks now, but I also work in a industry/company where there aren't many females.....so, they don't give perks like paid maternity leave.

Good Luck - check with your HR dept.

I think it depends on where you live. In Canada, as long as you have a certain number of insurable hours (usually obtained by working about 9 months, full time) the federal government covers your mat leave for the full year. If you live in the states - I really have no idea! In Canada, some companies (including the federal gov't) will top up your salary to 90% of what it was if you return!

Sorry if that doesn't help if you don't live in Canada!

In the U.S. there is NO paid maternity leave. What a lot of women do is use all of their vacation and sick days to help pay.

Women do get up to12 weeks of unpaid, which pretty much keeps your job for you to come back to. Talk to someone in your HR department for more info.

To be covered under FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act):

Must work for a covered employer (all public agencies; private companies with 50 or more employees within 75 miles.)

Must have worked for covered employer for at least 12 months prior, and at least 1250 hours in previous 12 months. Other restrictions apply.

Uncommon. I work for a place with 8 employees and I receive 6 weeks unpaid leave.

If you work for a place that has 50 employees or more, the FMLA applies to you but that's still an unpaid (12-week) leave.

I'm in the UK and get nine months paid (at differing percentages of salary every 3 months) and 3 months unpaid maternity leave.

My company does not have maternity leave, but I was able to collect short term disability of 8 weeks pay-at 60% of my pay.

For a full time salaried employee, very common. For a part time employee, it depends. It all has to do with the benefits you have with your company, if any. Paid maternity leave is considered a benefit.