Do you need front turn signals?

Do you need front turn signals for your motorcycle? Or are using your hand motions good enough? I live in TX.

Favorite Answer

Yes. According to the Texas, DPS:

(a)Except as provided by Subsection (b), a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer shall be equipped with electric turn signal lamps that indicate the operator's intent to turn by displaying flashing lights to the front and rear of a vehicle combination of vehicles and on that side of the vehicle or combination toward which the turn is to be made.

EDIT: Although I thought the law clear, a motorcycle dealer yesterday INSISTED that you do not need them in Texas. However, he said that if you have any, you must have all four and all four must be working. So, either 0 or 4. I think he is "confused", but that's for a policeman to sort out. I bought the bike and he is re-installing the turn signals for me.

I live in S. TX and I wouldn't be without turn signals. Most people don't see even bright signals on a motorcycle and I doubt if very many people know what hand signals meant.

• G B

Every motorcycle sold for street use in the U.S. since 1973 has had to be equipped with directionals front and back. However, it depends on what your states requirements are for safety inspections as to whether you can or cannot remove or even modify them. In my home state of MA you have to have them if your bike came so equipped. However, you could also remove them after inspection, I have never heard of anyone being stopped for running without them, but, it is possible.

Speaking from a safety perspective as opposed to a legal perspective...YES, you definitely need them. Anything you can do to let oncoming traffic know your intentions is a good thing. Hand signals cannot replace turn signals, especially at dusk/dawn or at night.

• ZX3R

In NC if you have them on the bike they have to work. If you have the removed you need to use your hands but no penalty for not having them.

California: yes, you need them.

Call the THP

why would you take your hands off of the handlebars anyway??? the more lights etc the better.