Credit Card Company is taking me to a pretrial court?

I was served a court summons in person. The Summons is from a credit card company. I had the credit card since 2002 and paid almost $100/month for five or six years. At least three times, I gave them $1000 or more to reduce my interest, but they would never co-operate. About a year and a half ago I... show more I was served a court summons in person. The Summons is from a credit card company.
I had the credit card since 2002 and paid almost $100/month for five or six years. At least three times, I gave them $1000 or more to reduce my interest, but they would never co-operate.

About a year and a half ago I couldn’t keep up the monthly payments. Again, they would not resolve a deal with me. At that time I owed them around $2,500 dollars and cancelled the card.

Now, the lawyers representing them are asking for over $4000.

I have to make an appearance at a pre-trial conference (Pluries Summons)

My question is it better to settle with the lawyers who want $3500 and payments of over $150/month which is beyond my budget, or will the court help me pay this back according to my budget?

I have lost all my paper work, but have my income tax statement.