Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 decade ago

Linux operating Systems?

I am thinking of installing a linux operating system on my computer - I like photo editing, making dvds and my music so can anyone recommend which system is the best?

Favorite Answer

I'm using Ubuntu Linux on my computer to type this, and I've been a regular Linux user for the better part of the last 5 years.

I have to be honest, if by "making DVDs" you mean video editing, you're going to be disappointed with what any version of Linux has to offer. The tools Linux has for the average home user's video editing needs are far, far behind what Microsoft and Apple give away for free with their systems.

That aside, Linux has excellent tools for the other needs you mentioned, and any major Linux version you try is going to have all the major tools available. The key differences between Linux versions (commonly called "distros" or "distributions") are generally found in default installed software, how you obtain new software (package management), and maybe hardware detection.

Personally, I would recommend Ubuntu. There are other excellent choices out there (Fedora, SUSE), but I give Ubuntu the nod for its excellent combination of default software, hardware support, and tools for installing new software. Plus, it has a great community that will help you get started.

[ADDITIONAL INFO REGARDING VIDEO EDITING -

I'm referring to software accessible to the average home user. I am NOT referring to professional, Hollywood-level software. There is nothing available on Linux that compares to Apple's iMovie or Microsoft's Windows Movie Maker, which is what I assume the asker is hoping for. If you know of such a program, I'd be happy to hear about it.]

I've been using Linux since it first came out over 10 years ago. I've tried every distro at least twice, if not many more times. I have several different distros running on different computer in my business and home.

There are a lot of different distros out there that are designed to handle specific situations.

Ubuntu is one of the most popular ones, but I didn't like it because I felt that it limited it too much. I'm a power user and really push my system, doing video editing, programming, development, etc.

I fell in love with a distro called PCLinuxOS (google it). I found it to be extremely easy to install and use yet gave me all the power I needed. It came with almost everything I need, right out of the box and what it didn't come with, they made it very easy to get.

Don't be afraid to try several. It's time consuming, but fun.

I noticed that someone said that for video production, Linux is far behind Windows/MAC. I guess that's why ALL the major movie studios and post houses use Linux instead of Windoze/Max

• Sanra

I think the other responders have answered your questions, I want to let you know about a new super easy way to install Ubuntu. See the link below. You do not have to burn a cd. You simply download a file called wubi (Windows UBuntu Installer) and run it. It will download the ubuntu system and install it on your system. If you want to remove it you use windows Add Remove feature to completely remove it. Be sure to read the FAQ. The second link is where you donwload wubi. The third and fourth links will help you do things in ubuntu. The way you get something done in linux is not the same as in windows so to have a pleasant experience it is necessary to read the tutorials and instructions. Have fun

• Terryc

For that combination, anything but Linux.

Linux tools for all those are really kludgy unless you're a *nix person by training.

Yes, I've used it for 15 years and I've never been able to do away with MS OSs.

OTOH, you didn't specify exactly what you want to do. Perhaps it is something simple that Linux applications can do reasonably well.

E.G. I had to resize 800 band images to max 140x140 size and Linux took about 30 minutes to chug away by itself and do them automatically. It would have taken days in MS freeware.

AFAIAC Ubuntu is brain dead crap for fools. Suse, Redhat or Debian are what I would recommend if yo are prepared to put the effort into learning it and yes that means a fair bit of technical learning. Hint, look as what supoport lists/pages you an find on the internet to learn stuff.

Quelling my own temper (and refraining from squashing flamebaiters with my supernatural skilz), I have to point out that there's a lot of flamebait in these answers. Get over yourselves.

Any linux distro can be made to work for you. On common modern hardware you'll get good results from *buntu, OpenSUSE10.0, PCLinuxOS, etc.

Specific to video editing: there are a shortage of good, simple tools. LiVES will work, as will Kino or AVIDemux. What you'll find is that they're not as polished as Windows Movie Maker or (iLife?), not to mention the Adobe film editors or whatnot. And you might have trouble with keeping your camera attached: 1394 support isn't what it should be. You can certainly do video editing, just not as easily as on Windows or Mac (or a Hackintosh...)

For video stuff I use Ubuntu Studio when I can, and AVS Video Tools on Windows XP when I can't use Linux...

Hi, Linux has all the software u require. There r special multimedia editions of some Linux distros, but u should first try the original ones and u can install all the software u need on any one of them.

I would suggest that u try out these distros first and see which one u like:

Ubuntu Linux:

http://www.ubuntu.com

Kubuntu Linux:

http://www.kubuntu.com

OpenSuse:

http://en.opensuse.org

PCLinuxOS:

http://www.pclinuxos.com

Fedora:

http://fedoraproject.org

Mandriva Linux:

http://www.mandriva.com

Remember no matter what Linux distro u try there will be a learning curve.

I hope I helped.

Good Luck and take care!

hi, google UBUNTU,you can download it for free from this site or request a free cd install disc. this linux is probably the easiest to install and use. it installs with documentation which might be a good idea to read as it is a little different to windows but it will provide you with an adventure. hell if things dont work out you can always come back to windows, at least you tried. cheers.

Source(s): i have used it personally.

Ubuntu makes the most sense if you are new to Linux. This installs all the stuff that you need without any fuss.

If you wish to use Linux for your daily computing, then you should try UBUNTU.

It is easy to install and handle and comes with good utilities.

Try Fedora, SuSE, Debian, or Ubuntu (A Debian based distribution)