Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSTDs · 1 decade ago

Undetectable HIV?

If someone says they are hiv positive but its undetectable.. Can it be transferred to other people at that stage? i dont really know anything about it.. any insight would help. Also... can it turn into just Hiv positive? Can someone please just give me information.

It actually didnt happen to me. I know someone who is hiv positive but says its undetectable. and a friend of mine is sleeping with him and im not sure if she knows...

Favorite Answer

THat is utterly a joke.

After infection, HIV virus presence, either by detection of the viral RNA or the ELISA test, that detects the presence of reverse transcriptase (induced by the virus in the nuclei of the infected cells in the host), the test would be positive.

As a matter of fact, when we find a POSITIVE Enzyme Linked Immuno Absorbancy test, we do repeat the test at once, and if still positive, we do reconfirm the presence of the RNA from the HIV virus, by means of the western blot test....

As you can see, not even heavy loads of antiretrovirals such as azidovudine, lamivudine, or inhibitors of the protein synthesis of the virus, such as ritonavir, saquinavir, etc, are capable of reversing the lab, results...

Its a fallacy.,

The treatment DOES NOT change positive tests, .....

There must be some kind of misunderstanding, or perhaps YOU were taken for a ride (as you say in America), or the person who told you that, is "kind of pulling your leg"!

I am sorry to say, but there is not such a thing as "undetectable" HIV

Source(s): I am a doctor (Germany)
  • ?

Hiv Undetectable Definition

For the best answers, search on this site https://smarturl.im/aDD2p

Just because it is undetectable doesn't mean she can't transmit it. The chances of transmission are lower based on her viral load, but she still has HIV. Why aren't you using protection? You should really care more about your health than you seem to right now. Don't have unprotected sex with her anymore and in 3 to 6 months get tested and I hope that you come out ok.

a HIV poz person who is undetectable has a 96% chance of non transmission. basically 1 out of 100 unprotected sexual encounters there is a chance of transmission. it is a 50/50 chance with someone who says they are neg or does not know their status. in other words. always use a condom. also dont listen to ignorant people who have no idea what they are talking about.

Undetectable doesn't mean unable to be transmitted. Undetectable refers to the viral load, and can happen if the HIV positive person is taking aggressive antiretroviral therapy.

• ?

undetectable hiv

• BJC

Here is the deal with "undetectable".

When an HIV+ person begins using antiretroviral therapy the meds reduce the amount of virus in the blood stream to less than 50 copies of HIV per teaspoon of blood. That is the lower limit of our viral load tests. So, when a POZ person says that they are "undetectable" they are saying that their treatment is working and that there is less than 50 copies of virus. (Viral load can theoretically be extraordinarily high, so less than 50 is excellent). Undetectable is actually one of the main goals of treatment (improved CD4 cell count is the other main goal)

Now, how does being undetectable affect someone's ability to transmit the virus? Scientists and researchers are still examining the issue, but this is what we know as of today:

Several studies have shown that suppresion of HIV (undetectable viral load) with ARVs often does not reach undetectable in the semen or vaginal secretions. This is considerable since the lower limit of testing HIV in genital secretions is 1000 copies/ml not 50/ml as in the blood. Therefore undetectable viral load should not be equated with an undetectable viral load in the semen.

For those on an optimized ARV regimen, HIV is detected in the semen 10-40% of the time (means a reading of over 1000 copies / ml).

Sexually transmitted infections can actually increase the viral loads in the semen and vaginal fluids with no rise in the blood viral load (treatment of STI results in a reduction) just as a cold or flu can result in an increase in blood viral load.

And, the male genital tract constitutes a relatively distinct compartment of HIV replication. Not all meds penetrate the genital tissues as effectively as others and therefore fully suppress the HIV in the genital tract. It is not uncommon to find resistant strains of HIV in genital secretions that are not found in the blood.

All of this being said. You can definitely say that the lower a person's viral load the less likely they are to transmit the virus. Those with undetectable viral loads are much less likely to transmit than someone with a viral load of say 100 000. But the idea that undetectable means he can't transmit the virus. That's just not supported by the vast amount of evidence.

Undetectable virus plus consistent proper condom use means transmission is very unlikely. But condoms should always be a part of the equation.

The doctor who answered before me is probably aware of all of this he just misunderstood our use of the word undetectable.

Source(s): HIV/STI Prevention and Outreach Educator x 5 years

Herpes is definitely one of those embarrassing and stressful anomalies that we all wish to avoid throughout our lives. Though, sometimes, we have no choice but to endure it. Bad luck I guess, and maybe even the result of the one time you decided not to use a condom.

For myself, I tried all kinds of different treatments and solutions, both prescription and over-the-counter. It seemed like nothing would work or give me any real results. The only thing that I seemed to experience was negative side effects and frustration. Plus, knowing I would have to use these treatments for the rest of my life didn't make things much better.

It wasn't until I checked online for alternative or natural remedies for herpes. Eventually, I came across http://herpestreatment.kyma.info/ worked like a charm.

With the resources and knowledge provided, I was able to completely rid myself of the herpes condition. Not just treat it, but actually cure it.

Best of all, it was done naturally- and the bumps/warts have not resurfaced since. So, I know how you feel. Herpes sucks, and sucks bad.

It leaves you bitter about the one who gave it to you, and insecure about yourself, and the possibility of giving it to future partners. I understand the dilemma all too well.

However, there are real solutions and options out there. I wish the best of luck to you, and a speedy recovery!

DO am I required to tell sexual partners if I am undetectable?