Jade
Lv 5
Jade asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

What do you think is a fair amount of time for Classified information to beomce Declassified?

What is it now?

Update:

*become.... sorry

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It depends if this is critical data. Some classified data must only be classified for months, or years, and then the data is common knowledge, or not important anymore.

Other times data can be very sensitive and reflect long term, spanning, ongoing investigations and declassifying that info can give away the entire project.

So I would say this cannot be generalized. However, it may be a good idea to say all information must be declassified within 12 years (maximum presidential term I believe) to ensure no court actions span past one elected mans power and for the people to know fully of their actions.

Government is the servant of the people. Do you keep secrets from your servant and know the secrets of that servant, or does your servant know all your secrets and keep secrets from you?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

75 years, or a normal person's life span. That way people are long gone usually before their decisions are made available for public scrutiny. Some would disagree, but I say it is good because it helps people in power make the best unhindered decisions, if they are honest people. And history can judge their actions at a later date, good or bad. Hind sight is always 20/20 but present day sight is usually twisted by politics, which would force people of power to make decisions based on politics if they knew their tough decisions would be made known immediately to the public.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Information should not be classified unless there is NO choice. We the People are the United States of America. We deserve the truth as soon as possible. The Shrub family understands that the only way they will not be incarcerated for the durations of their miserable cowardly lives is if they classify every slimey detail of their treasonous history.

• 1 decade ago

I think the current 20 year period for the CIA files is ok. But what seems unfair is that some files are held back even after 20 years and the President has the authority to extend the period once its over. Now thats unfair !

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It depends whether it will compromise any methods or sources. A set time would work about as well as a set time to pull out of a war.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.