How can I make Word 2003 open documents (.doc) as default ?

I have both 2003 and 07 and I would rather 2003 open them up when I click on a document

uninstalling 07 is not an option here

Favorite Answer

It is my understanding that when there are two versions of an office application installed, the most recently installed version gets the default file type.

You can change the dominance as follows:

To make Word 2003 the default for .doc, open Word 2003, click on Help, then Detect and Repair.

To make Word 2007 the default, open Word 2007, click the Office Button, then click Word Options, then click Diagnose.

Let us know how that works.

• Erkan Acet5 years agoReport

Perfect. I also did the same. It is working now. Thanks :)

• madson

Open Office 2007 Files In Office 2003

Right click on the document and choose OPEN WITH and then the program. Check the box.

Keep in mind that Office 2007 may not use the same default file type as its predecessors (I.E. a file created under 2007 may not be backwards compatible with an earlier version). Verify that it is a .DOC before OPEN WITH and box check.

• Vermin5 years agoReport

I tried that one. That's would be the most obvious way, but it didn't work. Detect & Repair did though. Thanks, everyone, for helping solve this annoying problem.

Open My Computer, click Tools menu, click Folder Options, click File Types tab, scroll down to Extension: DOC and highlight it. Click Advanced and double click the default action (which is highlighted in bold, should be called Open). In the "Application used to perform action" field paste this:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE" /n /dde

(with quotes) then check the "Use DDE box if it's not already checked. In the first field (DDE Message) paste this:

[REM _DDE_Direct][FileOpen("%1")]

In the second field (Application) paste this:

WinWord

In the FOURTH (not third field; Topic) paste this:

System

Then OK all dialogs and try opening a Word Document. If it doesn't work, restart your computer.

Source(s): Values were copied directly from MY Office 2003 installation.

I am not sure what Operating System you are using, but in Windows Vista you can go to the Control Panel --> Default Programs and associate a file type or protocol with a program.

In Office 2K3 the file extension is .doc

In Office 2K7 the file extension is .docx

Hope this helps

right click on a doc. select open with... click on the choose program... link

find and highlight word 2003 and there is a check box at the botton to always use this program to open these files!

I was looking for a Microsoft certified partner site, and I finally found http://www.vip4sale.com

Here you will find anything about Microsoft products with great prices.

Personally, I was looking to purchase the latest windows operation system, and I bought Windows 8.1 Professional edition product Key.

I'm very happy with the purchase, the customer service is great, they sent me the download link to the official Windows 8.1 ISO as well as the product key.

Everything worked well first try and I have now a 100% Genuine copy of Windows 8.1 edition.

Definitely a place to come back to in the future.