If I win the lottery why do I have to pay taxes.?

The question says it all. If I win a large sum of money why does the government tax it. I pay taxes every year on my income so why the money I won.

• Judy
    Favorite Answer

Because the money you won was income. You don't just pay taxes on income from a job, but also many other kinds of income.

• Rose

If you won enough to be over the filing limit, yes for federal. If it's a state lottery, some states don't tax wins on their own lotteries.

Because, the US government taxes citizens on all income, unless that source is specifically listed as a source of income that isn't taxed (such as municipal bond interest).

Not all states tax lottery wins in their own state. For example, PA residents don't pay state taxes on PA Lottery winnings but they do on lottery winnings from other states.

I believe you actually have to pay taxes on any sum of money won. And life just sucks and then you pay taxes and then you die. But be glad you won a large sum of money and stop whining.

Australia does not tax lottery or other gambling winnings. However other income earned from those winnings are taxable. Tax is paid on the amounts gambled.

If you win and don't want to pay taxes, then move to Canada and win up there where lottery winnings are tax free.

yes you have to pay tax on the lotto income.

There is a good news too. you can claim the deductions for lotto loss upto the amount of winning. ( in case you lost money in lotto during the year).

You need to move to Canada, change your citizenship to Canadian and win the Canadian lottery--their government doesn't tax lottery winnings.

The US government does.

Because it's considered income

Yes you have to pay taxes. State and Federal.