What does the phrase, "I have a bridge to sell you" mean?

• Favorite Answer

It means that you are very easily fooled or gullible. The other person wants to sell you the Brooklyn bridge. Story has it that foolish people in the past have paid money believing that they actually owned the Brooklyn bridge.

that you are gullible. Usually they say that "if you believe that I've a bridge I could sell you'. The Brooklyn bridge was usually the bridge.

I think the whole phrase is something like, "if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you (in such and such location)". It basically means that you are so extremely gullible, that you'd purchase a bridge that didn't even exist.

This is in reference to a few con men who succeeded in "selling" such famous landmarks as buckingham palace, London, the Tower of london, The Eiffel tower (Paris), famous works of art, and many more to naive rich people, often American, who had the romantic image of impoverished European gentry in their heads from romantic fiction and movies.

The phrase refers to gullibility or naivity in someone

Hey, how much are you all selling those bridges for? I might be interested ! = )

• xg6

It means I'm going to rip you off and you're too dumb to realilze it

you are gullible

is what it implies