Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 1 decade ago

Chemical formula or compound?

1) Write the correct chemical formula or name the following compounds. (Type your answer using the format H2O for H2O.)

Sr(OH)2

potassium chlorate

calcium carbonate

NaI

Mg(BrO3)2

CoCl2

silver acetate

Fe(NO3)3

copper(II) sulfate

ammonium phosphate

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I have a feeling that you are just asking us to do your homework for you, but here are some hints.

First, each compound listed is ionic, so the first step is to determine the charge of each ion. For the monoatomic ions in the s block (i.e. Sr and K) you look at the column the atom appears in on the periodic table. For instance, potassium, which is in the first row, has a charge of 1 positive. Strontium has a charge of 2+.

For the transition metals Co, Ag, Fe, and Cu you determine the charge by looking at the roman numerals which come after the written element. For instance, in copper(II) sulfate, the Cu ion has a 2+ charge. Some transition metals only have one charge, so the roman numerals are omitted (silver only ever has a charge of 1+.

Finally, you need to know the names of polyatomic ions. Since this is just memorization (though you can find patterns if you look) I will list them for you.

OH=hydroxide ion 1-

ClO3=Chlorate ion 1-

I=Iodide ion 1-

BrO3=Bromate ion 1-

Cl=Chloride ion 1-

CH3COO=C2H3O2=Acetate ion 1-

NO3=Nitrate Ion 1-

SO4=Sulfate Ion 2-

PO4=Phosphate ion 3-

NH3=Ammonium Ion 1+

After this, it is simply a task of multiplying charges so that they cancel. For instance, Ammoniun Phosphate has the Ammonium ion (1+) and the Phosphate ion(3-) so to make ammonium phosphate, we need three times as many ammonium ions as we do phosphates. This gives us (NH3)3PO4 as our molecular formula for Ammonium Phosphate.

• 1 decade ago

For NaI it is Sodium Iodine. I just learned this in science. the rest of them i have to think about it.

• 4 years ago

A. CaF2 B. KCl C.Ba3N2 D. CaS

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.