Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 decade ago

Does anyone know any information about selling breast milk?

Favorite Answer

You CAN sell it. There's a whole website that a woman made to sell hers. If you're medically checked out, you can sell it for however much you like. I think she sells it for $1 an oz.

http://jscms.jrn.columbia.edu/cns/2007-04-10/leven...

• jatay

I don't know about selling it, but you can donate it to one of the national milk banks, here's a link to them:

http://www.hmbana.org/index.php?mode=locations

You can also check out:

http://www.breastmilkproject.org/

I've been looking into doing it myself. They do a health screen on you (at no cost to you) and some companies will even provide you with free breast pump! They also provide you with postage and shipping materials at no cost to you. Check out the sites above, some of the banks have certain rules about their donors. Obviously you have to pass the screening first, but you cannot smoke, regularly drink alcohol, or take any kind of herbal supplements. There are other stipulations as well. I'm trying to wean myself off of the herbal supplements and then I am going to sign up to donate, they won't take any of my milk as long as I'm on those pills :(

Edit: It's not gross it's natural & the milk banks process & pasturize the milk as well. By screening the donors first they help keep the milk free of diseases. They also test the milk once it comes into the labs & they re-test their donors every 3-4 months depending on the bank. There are so many sick and premature babies that depend on this milk!

Edit (again): I agree, it's similar to getting a blood transfusion or an organ transplant, no one considers that "gross"! I think some people on here are just being a little immature :(

• SoBox

I wonder how those who are saying it's disgusting will feel when they are in need of an organ or blood donation, and they have to take "used goods." That said, I'm with the others - breast milk can and should NOT be used as a money making scheme. You can't sell it, but you can donate it.

While there are laws in some areas that prohibit the sale of breast milk generally you can sell it to people with the fetish "infantilism". Look for a local group.

Alternatively you can make soap out of it and sell that.

No selling anywhere- all the banks across country accept donations only. Breast milk is NOT a money maker. If you happen to know someone well enough who trusts you not to be a drug user, or on meds, or something, you might be able to sell to them.

Source(s): 2 1/2 years experience as a nursing mama

Not sure about selling it, but you can donate it.

I was going to donate it to Mothers milk bank of Ohio.

You can contact a local hospital and get info if you wanna donate.

You can't sell it.

You can donate it though! =)

and p.s. it's not disgusting. I guess those people are against organ donation too. same concept. something that came out of someones body, put into another to make them healthier. and yes, sometimes breast milk does save lives!

and, they must be against drinking cows milk too!

.

There isn't anybody willing to pay any descent amount of money for it, being that it is readily available, since there are billions of women in the world, and nearly all of them are milk producing "Dairy Dolls".

However, there is a huge demand and therefor, a willingness to pay "big dollars" for the milk from lactating women who are aged 80 years and above, being that they produce "powdered milk".

There still is great hope for you though, even if you are not yet producing the "dry" stuff.

You'll earn yourself a substantial amount if you can squeeze out some

"chocolate" or "strawberry" flavored !

Some Asian women have been known to produce

"soy" milk !

"Good Luck"

Moms who need it don't usually buy it.

Sorry, but the major market for breastmilk for pay is adults with fetishes.

I think donating is a wonderful thing though.