promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Do you guys understand Filipino accent/English?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

yes infact i had to grow up getting used to it my mother is fillipino

Source(s): me
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Filipino Accent

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Do you guys understand Filipino accent/English?

Source(s): guys understand filipino accent english: https://shortly.im/ZGoAf
  • 1 decade ago

Well, I am half Filipino but i have to admit that i cant understand my mom that much. She is a Filipino and she has this accent that its really hard to understand. Sometimes it can cause us some troubles here in the house. lol! But Filipino's are great though! God! i love my mom!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • jose o
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Yes, it can be understood but it can lead to confusion as well. Generally, the following differences can be noticed:

'V' is pronounced as 'B'. Television sounds like Telebision.

'F' is pronounced as 'P'. Fan sounds like Pan.

'TH' is often pronounced as 'D'. There sounds like Dare.

'TH' can also be pronounced as 'CH'. Tuesday sounds like Chooseday.

Sometimes the 'T' at the end of certain words are not clearly emphasized. So when one says can, they really mean to say can't.

Although a large majority of older Filipinos have such accents, the new generation of Filipino accent/English have improved.

Source(s): http://meetfilipinofriends.com Meet Filipino Friends
  • Leon
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

My girlfriend is Filipina. At first, when I met her, I had a hard time understanding her because I was not used to the accent of her English. Six years later, I still have a little trouble but not as much as when we started dating. One funny experience:

One day we were eating at a restaurant and she asked me, "can you pass me the pork?". I was eating chicken and replied "this is not pork, its chicken". She picked up her fork and pointed to it to let me know that she actually meant fork.

For the person who said Hispanic accent is similar.

Not at All.

I'm Hispanic and I know the difference and it is very different.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yeah my best friend's mom is Filipino.. and the accent isn't too far off from a Carribean/Hispanic accent.

• 1 decade ago

hahaha. yeah but sometimes i have a hard time understanding what they're saying. but i think their accent is sort of cute :)

• 1 decade ago

Not really..... My english is pretty much perfect as any other regular American... but my mom is straight from the phillipines and she still talk with an accent.. but I understand her perfectly well, as well as any other filipino I work with.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Depends on how thick the accent is...but even when its thick you can make out a few words to get the gist of what is being said.

• 1 decade ago

Yes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.