dsa116 asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

Why isn't the game winning goal scored in a shootout considered a game winning goal in Hockey?

You also don't get fantasy points for a game winning goal scored in a shootout. How come this is not a game winning goal?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It is because it isn't happening within the natural flow of the game. The game has ended, and the NHL in it's infinite wisdom has chosen this method of breaking a tie during the regular season.

I personally like the shootout. I can't see why you wouldn't, but I understand opponent's to the shootout points of view to some extent.

What would, other than a full O.T. period be an alternative solution?

• Login to reply the answers
  • NIPS®
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It wasnt scored while the clock was on! And seriously, if the shootout score was 3-2 who is to say which goal was the winner. All 3 of your players played a part in winning *the game within a game*!

• 3 years ago

Baseball eradicated sport-prevailing RBI as an expert stat by means of fact they found out that it became into just about thoroughly arbitrary, and the NHL could desire to truly do an identical. As in the example you cite, that's an just about meaningless statistic except the GWG is scored previous due in the sport or in extra time. i could assume a itemizing of all-time leaders in the class to study like a who's-who of all-time large purpose-scorers, and that only added proves your factor. If there became into any fee to the GWG classification, or if it became into tougher to attain considered one of those purpose, then the checklist could desire to comprise gamers who weren't inevitably all-time greats. Lubers - i presumed that became into tremendously humorous on the RBI ingredient.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Really? I've gotten a couple off shootouts.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

In Yahoo fantasy leagues, you do in fact get credited with a GWG.

Statisically (in the goal department), it is not a goal though.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.