Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

Chances at Duke University....?

I am a senior and I wanted to apply to Duke, but then talked myself out of it because I thought I didn't stand a chance. Do you think I stand a chance?

SAT= 1940/1280

ACT=32

SAT 2= Math 2 (790)

Spanish (650) *Just retook them last weekend

Biology M (540) *Just retook them last weekend

Weighted cumulative GPA = 4.14

Thespian Society for 4 years

National Honor Society for 2 years

Chamber Orchestra for 3 years

I have a bunch of other little activities also...

2 AP classes last year, 4 this year

Do I have a chance? Should I bother applying?

Thank you!

Best Answer

I think that your ACT score and GPA are good enough assuming you took at least a few AP/honors classes. 6 should be sufficient. I think you have a competitive shot at it.

If you want a percentage chance (like 56.8%, or whatnot) go to www.mychances.net and enter in your data. It's free, so it's worth a look.

Your extracurriculars sound good, as does your GPA- so all that's left is your SATs, and I'd say you should try and get them up a bit higher to really make Duke want you. Nail your APs and I'd say you're good to go. Good luck :)

Their football team is pretty bad. Maybe they would take you on a football scholarship?

yes you definitely qualify, but there are many others just like you(academically). Make sure you set yourself apart!