How subjective the meaning of words and expressions in English can be :) ?

English is not my first language. In two years of YA, I've asked some questions about the meaning of words and expressons in English, and I never had all native speakers agree about them. In one occasion, I couldn't get one single satisfaying answer, and I still don't know the answer to that question,... show more English is not my first language. In two years of YA, I've asked some questions about the meaning of words and expressons in English, and I never had all native speakers agree about them. In one occasion, I couldn't get one single satisfaying answer, and I still don't know the answer to that question, many months later.

Your thoughts, please?

Thank you! :)

Have a wonderful day! :)
Update: The question I asked earlier today:

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/ind...
Update 2: Zalem - I'm not talking about your answer, your answer is right :) I, too, looked at the dictionary, as I always do, before asking the question. What I mean is, read the other answers, and you'll see that people don't agree about when/how to use those words.
Update 3: byteofk - my first language is Portuguese.

There's no need to be agressive...