mebeingme asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Why am i losing pounds and not inches?

I've lost 20 lbs. in 2 months. I currently weigh 258. I'm 5'4". The thing is I'm still in my same size clothes as when I started and I'm not losing any inches. I walk approx. 25 - 45 minutes 5 days a week. I eat a very clean diet (protein shakes, chicken, fish, lots of veggies, tons of water) I use stretch bands and lift 5 lb. weights about 3 or 4 days a week. Why am I not losing inches.

• ryan
    Favorite Answer

well could be due to a number of things, number 1 genes impact where fat loss happens it's possible where you've lost fat isn't in your waist but perhaps in your lower thighs, arms something else, and you'll need to continue to lose fat all around your body before fat loss around your waist is noticable. Another reason could be your diet, if it's below your bmr or basically too low in calories, your weight loss could be a result of catabolism which is basically just muscle loss.

edit: If your diet consists of cutting calories you probably have gained very little muscle if any at all, when you gain muscle you gain little bit of fat, when you lose fat you lose a little bit of muscle, though it's possible to gain some muscle with a calorie deficient diet, it's VERY minimal; research it most of these people saying it's added muscle are wrong. Even though your doing exercises that promote muscle growth unless your diet is built around gaining you won't gain very much muscle, it's even possible to lose muscle mass if you tear apart the tissue and then don't have proper nutrition (basically the protiens and carbs you need) during muscle repair.

• Steph

Well there's a lot of protein in your diet, maybe you've got some more muscle. Although muscle weighs more than fat, it takes up less room. You may have lost some fat, but are improving your muscles, meaning a weight loss but nor size change.

As your used to weigh 278lbs, this is quite likely, however, if you get worried about it go and see your doctor straight away. you doctor is the best person to see if you're worried about your physical or mental health, getting information from the internet can be dangerous as you do not know if it comes from a reliable source. In short, if you are worried or it continues, see your doctor.

• tom w

I've lost 120 pounds. When I did it, I noticed I would do it in stages. I would lose a lot of pounds, but not lose any inches, than I would lose a lot of inches but not lose any pounds.

Your body takes time to adjust. Just keep doing what your a doing, and you will see results. It's not something you can do overnight.

because it will take a while...the fat burned will be your stomache fat probably b/c thats where most fat gets stored....as u know larger people tand to wear there pants BELOW there belly...that are wont change for a long time...just keep working on it and eventually you will lose some inches....20 lbs is a good start you should eb happy

You need to lift heavier weights and build muscle. Also doing more vigerous cardio will melt away the fat and make you lose inches.

Up your exercise.

If you are walking, walk faster. You want to sweat. If you can, add weight lifting to your regime at least twice a week.

Vary your exercise and you'll see better results.

Good luck.

it might take a while

or you are losing inches just not noticing

but keep on going

your doing great

but you can go ask your doctor

Were your clothes very tight before? If they are looser now, than you can see the difference. You also might be replacing fat with muscle.

You are losing fat weight and gaining muscle weight.

YOu are probably gaining muscle.