Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

big1 asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

I've been thinking about what I wanted to do with my life, and I think I want to be a film reviewer.?

I know it sounds weird, but I like movies, and talking about them, and I annoy my brother about movies, and the story, and the acting too, and I'm asking could it happen, and what do you need to become one?

Favorite Answer

It doesn't sound weird to me.

Keep in mind, there aren't that many jobs out there - especially now that a lot of smaller newspapers are folding or don't employ their own reviewer. But it is possible - or you could make a go of it online, instead!

The first place to start is by 1) watching lots of movies and 2) reading lots of reviews. Pauline Kael is usually held up as the gold standard of film reviewers - several of her collections are published. Roger Ebert has also published, as have others, I'm sure.

Take an older film you haven't seen, watch it on video, and jot down your thoughts. Then read reviews by some of the pros, like Kael, and see what they say - see how it compares to what you say - see how it changes your understanding of the film.

Try the same exercise with a movie currently in cinemas. Go in not knowing anything, write down your thoughts, then go to Rotten Tomatoes and read every review you can.

That's the first step to honing your skills in thinking critically about film, and writing about it, too.

The next step, towards becoming a professional, would be to study the subject in college. You could focus on film studies, journalism or simply English and writing. (Or a little bit of all of those...) Following it up with a master's degree in film studies at someplace like NYU wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it's necessary.

I think the best film reviewers are those with a real knowledge of film - how they're made, the history of cinema, the works of writers, directors, actors - and also a real passion and enthusiasm for film.

Good luck!