Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 1 decade ago

Can I re-enter Canada?

Hi, I am a canadian premanent resident and would like to travel to US with an infant for two weeks. She has valid PR card, but her passport does not meet 6 months validity period (it can be renewed only when expired). Can I leave and re-enter Canada?

4 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    As a permanent resident (of any country that allows PR status), one of the requirements for maintaining your status is to maintain a valid passport. This means you have to apply for renewal BEFORE the current passport expires.

    If the passport expires, SO DOES THE PR STATUS (effective midnight of the last day the passport is valid), regardless of the actual date of validity on the PR document.

    As a PR of Canada, you can leave the country at any time to visit elsewhere, as long as you maintain a residence in Canada and spend enough time in the country to keep your status (basically, 183 days a year).

    When traveling, you should have both your PR documentation (green card), AND a valid passport. Your requirements for visas to the country you are entering is NOT necessarily based on the country in which you have PR status ... it may be based on the country issuing your passport.

    Whether you need to have a passport valid for 6 months beyond the date of your trip is dependent on the country issuing the passport itself, not the fact that you're coming from Canada. Check the official US Customs and Immigration Services (USCIS) website for documentation requirements.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    If you are both permanent residents of Canada and are traveling to the U.S. by LAND you do not need passports until SUMMER 2008. See website below and read top half of page carefully for CURRENT info. If you are fying, you need the passports. I do not believe passports for Canadian permanent residents need to be valid for 6 months beyond the rrip time, just long enough for the trip. You can use the website below to check. Enter you NATIONALITY, enter that you are an alien resident of Canada, enter U.S.A. as your destination. then clikck for the info. It will tell you that you need a pssport, and if there is a specified time the passport must be good for, it will also say that. Since you did not say what your nationality is, I could not check, but you can do it. If you are still unsure, see 2nd website and see list of U.S. consulates on the left. you could call the nearest consulate and ask to be sure. Good Luck.

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    i'm particular that the immigration officials will ask to work out even if you used to enter the U. S. - more advantageous drivers licence or passport. you would possibly want to apply a valid overseas passport plus even if paper you should educate you've a properly of position of abode e.g. landed immigrant papers. if you're a Canadian citizen i think that you gained't genuinely want a valid passport to enter Canada - that a delivery certificate or citizenship card may be sufficient - yet you may be detained or not on time even as they verify your identity and determine out you may be deported to Canada and not in any respect someplace else.

  • pai
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    Of course, YES

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.