Alyssa181 asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

How realistic is the trade of Johnny Estrada ( a Met) plus money for Felipe Lopez (a national)?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Not gonna happen. Lopez plays 3B, 2B, and SS, so he would replace David Wright, Jose Reyes, or Luis Castillo. Here's their 2007 numbers.

Lopez---.245 BA, 9 HR, 50 RBI, 24 SB, .969 FA

Reyes---.280 BA, 12 HR, 57 RBI, 78 SB, .982 FA

Castillo-.301 BA, 1 HR, 38 RBI, 19 SB, .991 FA

Wright---.325 BA, 30 HR, 107 RBI, 34 SB, .954 FA

Lopez is too good to be a backup, and not good enough to replace any starters, except maybe Castillo, but they just signed him up for a two year contract. I think that if they trade a catcher, it should be Schneider. He can't hit, and the Mets were looking for a switch-hitting catcher with power, which is Estrada.

• 1 decade ago

Don't count on it. The Mets originally tried to include Estrada with Milledge in the initial trade and the Nationals didn't want him. He is considered a bad game-caller and has a very poor throwing arm, not the type of guy the Nats want for their relatively young rotation.

Lopez also doesn't serve much purpose for the Mets. They have a second-baseman and they have a shortstop. At best, he'd serve as a backup shortstop and it'd be a waste of his talents, plus I don't forsee Washington letting their starting shortstop go in a trade, especially when it seems they're starting to put together a respectable young roster.

So I don't think this trade is even remotely a realistic option, for either team.

• 1 decade ago

Probably not going to happen since the mets already traded for catcher Brian Schneider from the nationals. I dont think they will trade back for another catcher.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Its not about to happen, but it is a fair trade, estrada is a bit better, but overall it is fair.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

as realistic as cardinals trading King Albert for a A-player

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

sounds like a trade the yankees would make....

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

once again mrbaseball is cheating. he has answered this question twice. say it aint so, bco!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

don't count on it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.