How do you define Alpha Male/Female?

Update: I don't mean I want the dictionary definition, I mean I want what everyone's personal opinion is.
Update 2: I'm married to an Alpha. He is a great man. I wonder where people get the idea that Alpha is a negative thing to be(the "Bad Boy" type of male, the "Heinous B*tch" type of female). In nature, when you look at a wolf pack(for example), the Alphas don't just dominate the pack members... show more I'm married to an Alpha. He is a great man. I wonder where people get the idea that Alpha is a negative thing to be(the "Bad Boy" type of male, the "Heinous B*tch" type of female). In nature, when you look at a wolf pack(for example), the Alphas don't just dominate the pack members because they like to have them cowering at their feet, they do it to keep the pack together, to keep control, for the survival of their pack. If the "bad boys" and "heinous b*tches" were in charge, there would be chaos, divisions, and very little chance for survival. The "bad boys" and "heinous b*tches" are not Alphas, they are people who have looked inside themselves and seen that they can never be an Alpha, so since they can't have it/be it, they don't want anyone else to. It undermines the real Alpha role when the "bad boy" or "heinous b*tch" are mislabeled as Alphas. IMHO.