gay and lesbian day, do you think it is a good thing for children to have in grade school?

My friend told me that his children in the city of lake elsinore in southern california just expericanced gay and lesbian day. They were encouraged to dress up as the opposite sex... and if a little boy dressed up as a little girl, he could use the girls bathroom. My friend was disturbed because he could not have his child opt out of this. Do you feel this is a step forward for us as americans or a step backwards? Should we expand gay and lesbian day at all schools throughout the country or have different kind of days to expand childrens horizons? What are the best directions you see as a day for the youth of america? I encourage you to call your politicians, school boards, newspapers... and discuss your ideas with them.

So how do you feel about this issue?

Favorite Answer

Cant believe they do that! definatly a step back!

I think ppl are more likley to accept ppls choices about their partners nowdays and i dont think it should be made into a big thing!

being gay should be seen as a normal choice someone could make and trying to make a day of it just brings it right out as being not normal!!

Should straight ppl have a day to celebrate too!!

I think that if we want to get rid of the prejudice ppl still have then its better not to make a big thing of it, after all if they celebrated a being coloured day and make kids paint their skin there would be a riot!!

This has got to be a joke! This is absurd! I have never heard anything as demeaning and ridiculous as this in a public school. If I had a daughter I would be pissed off that school officials would allow a boy to share the restroom with her simply because he's dressed as a girl!!! Are you serious??? Being gay and lesbian is not something that should be encouraged---that's no different than encouraging a gay person to be straight. They should be able to make their own decision in due time. California must be far different from Texas, because I know for certain that this issue would not even come abroad in Texas. I think this act was a violation on both the students and parents that go to that school, especially since your friend could not have his child opt out of this--that's borderline violation of constitutional rights if you ask me. And just for the record...I AM GAY!

• Dr. D

How would you like to have a young boy who the others pick on because he is somewhat feminine? What if he comes home crying everyday and doesn't want to go to school because the others are calling him names? Children can be very, very cruel.

So in the hope of teaching our children to respect others that are different than ourselves, they are taking up things like transgender day.. It is not a holiday! It is a learning experience. It is an opportunity to see that there is nothing to fear from those who may be gay.

Does every school need a gay and lesbian day? No... I would ask them if they see a need for it. And if they explain why they made this choice them I would support them.

• Nikki

I don't have a problem with gay men or lesbians, but why are we making a darn holiday out of this? I certainly wouldn't let my son participate. You are confusing the hell out of the children. BTW my sis-n-law is a lesbian and she said that is just ridiculous to do in school.

uh..my child would not have participated. I am not against homosexuality. I have several friends who ae gay..But to have a child participate in something like this is just wrong. There is nothing wrong with being gay..but to have a child imitate this would be putting something in a childs mind that should not be there. And I do not look for anytime soon for schools across the nation to be participating in something like this.

I think it's wrong. I dont understand why your friend was not allowed to opt out for his children...that's illegal. He and his children have certain rights in this country and one is that you cannot force someone(especially children) to go against something they morally feel is wrong. We honor religious rights, how about lifestyle rights ( not saying Im against an alternative lifstyle, just against forcing others to accept it)....we even have to give permission for the school to teach sex ed.

I think it was a way to teach tolerance. For one day the child got to see what it was like to be the opposite sex. I wish they would do it for different races. Our children are our future and maybe if we start this when they are young it will change the world. Come on think about it, wouldn't you love to know what another nationality goes through? Not just Gay and Lesbian.

• J D

This is just too much. I don't care if anyone is gay or lesbian but they don't need to be cramming it down the throats of our kids. What's next? Come to school high day so you can see how it is to be a drug addict?

yes it is OK because it is a good experience to them even if people make fun of them they still love their family no matter what.