What is the basis of this anti-intellectual attitude toward "learned" artists?

I started as an autodidact. I've composed music as far back as I can remember without "knowing" a thing about it. Played by ear, too.. etc. and made music I am still proud of today. Then I decided that I wanted understand how our art can fit not just into the context of fashion, but where it... show more I started as an autodidact. I've composed music as far back as I can remember without "knowing" a thing about it. Played by ear, too.. etc. and made music I am still proud of today.

Then I decided that I wanted understand how our art can fit not just into the context of fashion, but where it falls within our culture and time, and to find out exactly how much my work deviated from that/I wanted to see how I could use the "learned" musical language to become a more well-rounded artist. So I decided to explore it from an academic approach also. I entered the ivory tower a popular style musician and hoped to leave a sort of ambassador between the two styles of popular and classical.

But there seems to be a sort of stigmata with being a learned musician. I'm not so recognised anymore by the culture of my musical roots, the more hip group. It's still hard to share with them what I've learned. Why do so many of them lack an interest in their musical heritage?