Any opinions on this truck?

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT 4x2. Any thoughts on it? Previous experiences or anything of that sort would help. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

I have a 2004 2500 4x4 with 89K overall has been a good truck, rides & handles great, has plenty of power but only 13.5 mpg. Two problems however. #1 the steering rattle / knocking noise as mention in the other posts it seems that 75% of people that I talk to with Chevy trucks has this problem after about 25K miles. Occurs at low speed while turning wheel. The #2 problem I had was when it was new the wipers would come on and you could not turn them off. I shook the steering wheel half dozen times when it happened and that would turn them off. After a few times it stopped coming on by themselves. Chevy offers a lot more standard options than Ford and Chevy has more power than Ford, etc. I bought a 2006 Ford F150 King Ranch kept it one year hated it. I would drive the Chevy and leave the Ford in the garage. Few months ago traded the Ford in and got a 07 Tundra Limited fully loaded, you cannot believe the power this thing has, 16.9 mpg. So far the Tundra has been great. I will keep the Chevy until it dies, I use the Chevy as my work truck.

I have a 2007 model silverado 1500 crew lt 4x2 and it has been a great truck.There is one thing on it that will probably need attention.That would be the steering knuckle on the rack steering.It was designed to have a little slack on the splines to keep the steering column from ramming the driver in a collision.Chevy has too much play here and after a while it will cause a constant rattle which the have a replacement part with a little less play in it but they never put it on a recall list which means if it is under warranty still then it will be covered but if not then you pay for it.Other than that there are no complaints.I would recommend an 07 model over an 06 model even if they are both the classic body style due to the fact that in 07 chevy started the 100,000 mile power train warranty and the 06 models still have only the 36,000 mile warranty.

Well buddy, i have a 2005 silverado that i bought new. Nearly identical to the one you are describing. I have had some autos that i loved and some that i hated. This is a good , good truck. IT rides great , is quiet , has awesome power with the 5.3 ltr cast iron block v8 , and i think it looks great too. Recently i went for a weekend trip up into the mountains and the darned thing handles like a sports car, how i don't know. IT gets 16 mpg in town and 22 on the highway, good for the size and weight of the truck. That is according to the computerized info center in the steering wheel. Right now , the only way i would consider parting with it is if i got another new silverado in it's place. Good luck.

Source(s): my silverado

Mack 10 The famous Bulldog

Late model GM trucks and SUVs are plauged with electrical problems, especially in the running lights. The gas engines are not very long lasting, although they do make pretty good torque numbers.

Source(s): I drove several when I worked for the City of Talent Public Works.

if you get snow get a 4x4.