promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why don't people register to vote?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Probably the biggest reason is apathy. But that's understandable. Our electoral system is neither representative nor democratic. For example, in a presidential election, democrats who live in red states get virtually no say, and vice versa. We don't elect our president by popular vote. Check out the electoral systems in other countries around the world. You'll find that when people believe their vote matters, they show up to cast their vote.

Also, in response to some of the other comments, there is nothing wrong with complaining about the way the system works. That's better than resigning yourself to it. But it's also important to take action to solve the problems. This is the step too many Americans are failing to take. If you don't vote because you believe your vote doesn't count for anything, get together with some other people of the same opinion and do something about it.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

For me, I'm afraid of the Council Tax, same as Poll tax. If I register my mother may have to pay an extra 25% even tho I only spend 10 days a year here. The rest of the time I work away in different locations. Even if this is wrong there would be long and tedious discussions with the Council etc showing evidence of where I am from week to week. To big a risk for too little benefit.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

1. Some people don't think their vote will make a difference

2. Some people are just too lazy

3. Some people don't care, so long as they are fat and happy - they can't see the importance.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They're just lazy... they don't have any idea how the world really works, so they just prefer to sit and watch life happen instead of learning and being an active part.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Because they are LAZY, and would rather stand on some street corner drinking beer and smoking weed and eating chicken wings.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Why do you have to ask? If you have been on here very long, you have noticed that everyone points out how stupid, immoral and inept our politicians are. It is called voter apathy.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

because people don't think that they as an idividual can make a difference---so they don't vote but however they do nothing but complain...PEOPLE! if you don't have the sense enough to vote...DON'T COMPLAIN!!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because they aren't required to.

In Australia, voting is compulsory. For those who don't know what compulsory means....it means mandatory, required, do it or else.

• 1 decade ago

They're lazy.

• J 1
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

LAZY!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.