Should the remaining iowa class battleships be reactivated?
1. An Iowa class battleship has way to much armor to be pierced by Cruise missle or harpoon.
2. The modern guns of the Battleship can rip a modern destroyer/cruiser in half, and a CV would be dead in the water after one hit.
3.True battleships can be targeted by Subs but that is why you usually have battleships screened by a destroyer or with subs, just like with any carrier fleet today.
4. Modern advances in the battleships could be made today at the cost little since ramjet projectiles have already been successfully tested and fired at 100nm.
5. Arguing the Battleships reactivation cost is useless since reactivation and modernization together costs as much as a mdoern missle frigate.
6. Manpower is a joke since it takes 5000+ men to run a CV when a Iowa class Battleship takes 1,921 men at maxmium capacity (minimum is 800+)
8. Battleships have All weather status and are not affected by any kind of weather including hurricanes.
9. a Battleships will only take 1-2 million a year to maintain. at the same time a aircraft carrier cost's several Millions to replace missles and aircraft.
10. Reactivation and Modernization will only take 1-2 years.
11. Reactivation costs are $500 million and modernization is $2 billion.
12. To further Technology of the Battleships would cost an additional million if not less for the projectiles to be but into production.
13. True no such personell know or are trained to operate a battleship main gun but can easily be taught.
14. some reportes have indicated a battleship's main guns could be used as anti aircraft if the time detonation fuzes could be computer operated with it's target and shoot 10mm sabot shells plus shrapnel when shell explodes.
16. No ship or missile in the world is designed to take out the battleship with one shot or with many massed attacks.
17. Battleship Survivability since they use STS (special treated steel) of belt armor reinforced by large Bulk heads and Barbettes.