Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Why do Americans and Canadians sound the same yet they try and make out that they don't?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Having lived in both US and Canada, I would say it's more regionally based. Within the US there is a difference in accent in areas such as the South, the West Coast, and New England for example. Sometimes it's even by city- I grew up with New Yorkers and can immediately detect a New York accent, as well as Boston.

In Canada it's also regional. Obviously in French speaking parts of Canada the francophones speak English with a unique accent. People from the west coast and maritimes also sound different to me. Some of these regions overlap with the US, such as in the midwest.

Overall, I would say that not all Americans sound the same as each other and not all Canadians sound the same as each other- so that makes it sort of ridiculous to say we ALL sound the same.

• [Rei]
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

They don't sound the same. I'm Canadian, and hear a big difference when I speak with Americans.

• 1 decade ago

I didn't hear the difference myself really until I moved away from my native Canada to Finland. Now when I hear Canadian news on the radio, I just about jump out of my skin, the accent is so strong.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They do not, Americans speak with a more nasal twang than the Canadians, Canadians speak English much better, the first time I met an American I thought she suffered from a speech defect .............true as bob. And I am not American or Canadian.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • There are regional differences in the speech patterns of each country and between each country. Somebody from Vancouver will sound similar, but not exactly the same, as someone from Seattle more than they sound similiar to someone from Halifax and vice versa re, say, Dallas.

• Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, I'm Australian and can easily hear the difference between an American and Canadian accent!

Slack!

• 1 decade ago

Lol....the accents are VERY different...besides the fact that alot of Canadians speak french...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.