real life examples of 'I.T Project Failures' - know of any folks ?
Theres got to be countless examples of over-budgeted, poorly managed, under-resourced, under-budgeted, over-outsourced, under-skilled project team, poor anticipated financial gains/customer demand blah blah blah - i want REAL life examples from around the world (the best ones and most shocking ones please) of projects , I.T if possible (but others such as engineering proj. examples are welcome too) that have gone horribly wrong - or just not 'gone' anywhere heh.
name and shame them please, i've yet to consider embarking into the project management field of work, as im a student - so i kind of think that its impossible to 'learn project management' inside a classroom , para-phrasing/memorising textbooks and lecture notes , and that one must venture out into the real world and be part of the big picture.
so cmon, name n shame em folks :-)
- 1 decade agoFavorite Answer
Check the IT Project Failure blog at ZDNet (reference provided) for many, MANY such examples. Estimates are that about 70% (!) of IT projects are not a success (although not all of them are spectacular failures). It's a field ripe for innovation.
Just a sample - from the ZDNet UK, the top 10 IT project failures:
1. Faulty Soviet early warning system nearly causes WWIII (1983)
2. The AT&T network collapse (1990)
3. The explosion of the Ariane 5 (1996)
4. Airbus A380 suffers from incompatible software issues (2006)
5. Mars Climate Observer metric problem (1998)
6. EDS and the Child Support Agency (2004)
7. The two-digit year-2000 problem (1999/2000)
8. When the laptops exploded (2006)
9. Siemens and the passport system (1999)
10. LA Airport flights grounded (2007)Source(s): http://blogs.zdnet.com/projectfailures/