Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceOther - Business & Finance · 1 decade ago

real life examples of 'I.T Project Failures' - know of any folks ?

Theres got to be countless examples of over-budgeted, poorly managed, under-resourced, under-budgeted, over-outsourced, under-skilled project team, poor anticipated financial gains/customer demand blah blah blah - i want REAL life examples from around the world (the best ones and most shocking ones please) of projects , I.T if possible (but others such as engineering proj. examples are welcome too) that have gone horribly wrong - or just not 'gone' anywhere heh.

name and shame them please, i've yet to consider embarking into the project management field of work, as im a student - so i kind of think that its impossible to 'learn project management' inside a classroom , para-phrasing/memorising textbooks and lecture notes , and that one must venture out into the real world and be part of the big picture.

so cmon, name n shame em folks :-)

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Check the IT Project Failure blog at ZDNet (reference provided) for many, MANY such examples. Estimates are that about 70% (!) of IT projects are not a success (although not all of them are spectacular failures). It's a field ripe for innovation.

Just a sample - from the ZDNet UK, the top 10 IT project failures:

1. Faulty Soviet early warning system nearly causes WWIII (1983)

2. The AT&T network collapse (1990)

3. The explosion of the Ariane 5 (1996)

4. Airbus A380 suffers from incompatible software issues (2006)

5. Mars Climate Observer metric problem (1998)

6. EDS and the Child Support Agency (2004)

7. The two-digit year-2000 problem (1999/2000)

8. When the laptops exploded (2006)

9. Siemens and the passport system (1999)

10. LA Airport flights grounded (2007)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.