Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

my mom is terminally ill with lung cancer and in her final stages, Im having a hard time trying to cope?

I'm looking for some kind of reading material, books anything that can somewhat prepare me a little better, hospice is treating my mom three times a week. Im trying to deal/cope with my mom facing her final stages of life.

Favorite Answer

Sorry to hear about your mom. I am a nurse working at a long term facility. I see this everyday. You said she is on hospice.. Take full advantage of this they are there for your mom and your whole family to help with the final stages of life. The Hospices nurse should be able to get you some literature to read if you are not there when they visit your mom, leave them a note, or you can make arrangements to be there when they are. I can't tell you that you'll ever be prepared to lose mom but just knowing that she is comfortable will make you feel much better. I know its hard to deal with but you'll get thru, keep strong for your family..God Bless..

the cancer center where you would go for treatment usually has a great deal of books they loan out to family members as well as patients. call and ask.

also i would think the hospice care in your area would have special people that can give you pamplets or related info. on the end of life stages, what to expect etc.

hospice also has trained councelors you can talk to. just give them a call and ask for anything at all you need and they will be there......the hospice team in our area are all truly little angels.

they can provide anything practically from a-z and integrate their program and see the family as also a patient of sorts.

they can also direct you where else you may find the info. you are in need of.

my thoughts and prayers are with you and yours!!!!

Source(s): hospice helped me with all the support and the cancer center was also of great assistance when my husband had cancer.

My Mom died of lung cancer a few years ago. I also looked for reading material,but, nothing really helped. I was close to my Mom and it was/still is hard to get over her death. In the weeks after her passing, I would find myself picking up the phone to call her. I know it sounds cliche, but, time does heal. You never get over it, but, it does get a little easier. Just be there for her now and let her know how much you love her. Hug her often, hold her hand, pray with/for her, and comfort her. I know it doesn't seem like it right now, but, God will bring you thru this.

• mikk

I am so, so sorry to hear that. Try the American Cancer Society they should have plenty of material for you to read about the subject.

Sorry to hear that, try to be strong. I don't know about any reading material for such a situation. You could ask the doctors, they usually write stuff giving such advice.

• sheru

Oh! god! im so very sorry to hear about your mum..this must be so hard for her...and you..i cannot imagine how your coping..may the sun shine down on you both at this sad time xxx

I am so sorry about your mum. Firstly stay positive, coz if you not, whats gona happen to your mum? Secondly go to your doctor and ask him/her what can you do, like what books can you read and so on. Go to your local library and look through books toy help you. Ask your friends.

I am seriously sorry bout your mum and if you need help go to my profile and look for my e mail addy and email me