Problems with eyes, need help...?

Last night while I was working at my computer for a few hours, my eyes started to get blurry. It was sort of like a film or something. If I rubbed my eyes, the film would move around a little but it would return and be blurry again. (gross, I know)

Then around 4 am, I woke up and my eyes were cimpletely matted shut. I wash with warm water and a gentle cloth until they were clean and went back to bed. I just woke again at 7:30 and they are matted shut again. What is this? They are not itching or red, just crusty and gross. Please help. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Could be you have the beginnings of conjunctivitis, aka pinkeye. It's a bacterial infection of the eyes, and will make the lashes mat shut after sleep. The best thing to do would be to visit the doctor. If it's conjunctivitis there are drops or ointment which will help you get rid of it. In the meantime, be careful to keep your hands away from your eyes unless they are freshly washed, and wash them again afterwards. Use a clean cloth to wash each eye separately as well, on the chance you don't have it in both eyes- so you don't spread it from the infected eye to the other. You didn't say if you were male or female- but if you are female and have eye makeup of any sort, that needs to go in the bin if you do actually have the infection. All of it, the mascara, the eyeliner, eyeshadow, anything and everything dealing with the eyes needs to go. If you apply base or powder to your eyes, that also needs to go. Don't try saving it, as it will be contaminated with the bacteria and you'll just reinfect yourself. It's no big deal otherwise, but if you treat it quickly you can spare yourself the real misery and the redness to come. If you wait, it can get pretty nasty looking. You can visit either a regular doctor or an opthamologist- although it's usually easiest to see the regular doctor.

Source(s): nurse
  • Scully

Dry eye can cause infection...ie Conjunctivitis. Just get some over-the-counter Bleph10 (or other conjunctivitis medication) at the pharmacy. It is contagious.

your boyfriend was doing some extracurricular activities while you were dozing off